New to fishkeeping? This is the place to find out whatever you need to know!

Postby TheFincher » Tue Jun 26, 2007 7:57 am

Good afternoon all :D

Ive recently become an aquarium owner and already im hooked on all these fishy little fiends!

I found your site through Google and thought id sign up and share what i have and hopefully get some ideas for what i could have (other half permitting of course :shock: )

Just been looking around and it seems that everyone knows what their talking about, well more than i do anyway!

See you around im sure
TheFincher

Re: Newbie

Postby David » Tue Jun 26, 2007 7:59 am

Hi and welcome,

What size tank do you have?

And a word of warning, you buy one tank, next year it will be 3. :lol:

David
David

Postby Tigerhair » Tue Jun 26, 2007 8:01 am

Welcome to our world! :) Have you checked out the main site The Tropical Tank - there's loads of info there.

Now, let us know what tank(s) you have, what fish you have and how you are doing with them.... we want to know everything.

We hope you find it helpful here.
I will be more enthusiastic about encouraging thinking outside the box, when there's any evidence of thinking going on inside it! Terry Pratchett
Tigerhair

Postby TheFincher » Tue Jun 26, 2007 8:14 am

Wow............ speedy replies!

Ive got a 24" wide, 12" deep and 35" high tank

The fish i currently have in there are

2 White skirted Tetras - Painted
5 Cardinal Tetras
2 Clown Loach
1 Red Tailed Black Shark
1 Pleco

I also have a piece of driftwood and a broken urn kinda thingy as well as 2 live plants that im unsure of the names, i will do some research and find out

Im looking at adding a few more fish and was going to ask fro some advice in one of the other sections of the forum.

On a side note i tried to upload an avatar that was 80x80 and under 6k but to no avail, I notice some of you have 100x100 avatars, is that because your admin/mods? Any ideas why it wont upload? It was a jpg
TheFincher

Postby Carylnz » Tue Jun 26, 2007 9:59 pm

Welcome to The Tropical Tank Fincher, I am sure you will enjoy yourself but... now for the bad news. :cry:
Your tank is not very big and and certainly not big enough for the clown loaches, shark or plec!
Have you checked out the main page link Tigerhair posted, and read all about cycling your tank? This is very important for the health of your fish.
Have a look at the species list and see how big those fish grow. Do not believe people who claim a fish will only grow to the size of the tank. This is not so and cruel to the fish in question as a tank too small stunts its growth and can do damage to the internal fishy bits.
Please do not add any more fish to your tank.
Carylnz

Postby Wolfgirl » Wed Jun 27, 2007 1:23 am

Which means you can treat yourself to a bigger fish tank! :D Larger fish tanks are actually easier to keep stable and healthy than smaller ones. :)
Don't let your mind wander. It's too small to be let out on its own.
~John Wagner
Wolfgirl
Site Admin

Postby krekra » Wed Jun 27, 2007 5:35 am

Hi and welcome to the forum :D

One of the things we always love is when people share pictures of their tanks :D If you have a digital camera take a shot ad load it on photobucket and post the Img code to post the pic. Dont forget to resize it first :wink:

Glad to have you around

K
Karena

Just because you can doesnt always mean you should!
krekra

Postby SKRPhoenix » Wed Jun 27, 2007 7:15 am

Hello and welcome!

Please don't be afraid to ask any questions, everyone is usually very friendly.

Oh and if you make a mistake and someone sounds a bit off with you on here, don't take it to heart too much. A lot of people on here have a passion for fish keeping and like to see the fish get what they deserve.

See you around.
SKRPhoenix

Postby TheFincher » Wed Jun 27, 2007 12:01 pm

Thanks for all the replies guys and thanks for the advice so far.

I was unaware that my tank was not sufficient enough to house the fish that i currently have in there............ Bad news, whats worse is that i have bought all these fish from the same place and told them exactly what size my tank is and they didnt mention a thing to me.

Do you think that i should remove some of the fish that are going to suffer within the tank as currently i dont have the space for a bigger one?
TheFincher

Postby David » Wed Jun 27, 2007 12:10 pm

TheFincher wrote:Thanks for all the replies guys and thanks for the advice so far.

I was unaware that my tank was not sufficient enough to house the fish that i currently have in there............ Bad news, whats worse is that i have bought all these fish from the same place and told them exactly what size my tank is and they didnt mention a thing to me.

Do you think that i should remove some of the fish that are going to suffer within the tank as currently i dont have the space for a bigger one?

Unfortunately it is often the money the lfs are after, not many care for the welfare of fish. :cry:

You should try to re home then as their life span shortens and they become more prone to disease and ill health. :cry:

This is a problem alot of people make and i would be gutted if i had to re home some of my fish. :?
David

Postby Carylnz » Wed Jun 27, 2007 4:52 pm

I would see if the lfs will take back the unsuitable fish (since they sold them to you) in exchange for some more suitable, or dry goods or something.
Carylnz

Postby Lynton » Thu Jun 28, 2007 2:50 pm

Which means you can treat yourself to a bigger fish tank! Larger fish tanks are actually easier to keep stable and healthy than smaller ones.

My perfect excuse!!!!!!!! Thanks Wolfgirl.

I was kind of thinking a 18' x 6' x 2' custom built down the side of the front room. Would be so much more intersting to watch than the cr@p on TV. Water changes would be a bugger though!
Lynton

Postby Apistogramma » Thu Jun 28, 2007 4:11 pm

Lynton wrote:My perfect excuse!!!!!!!! Thanks Wolfgirl.

I was kind of thinking a 18' x 6' x 2' custom built down the side of the front room. Would be so much more intersting to watch than the cr@p on TV. Water changes would be a bugger though!

As long as you are certain your floor won't subside rather suddenly just as you've filled it...
If you do that we soooooooooooooooo need loooooots of pictures!!!
If you didn't stock it too heavily it wouldn't be hard to do water changes...
Who else on here has the huge custom built tank??? I know someone does...
Becky

*Aimlessly drives around in the steam roller with Karena's now fairly blunt scissors...and Lisa's hedge trimmer*

Apistogramma

Return to Beginners