How Many?

New to fishkeeping? This is the place to find out whatever you need to know!

How Many?

Postby jason forway » Wed Jun 27, 2007 3:52 pm

Hello there everybody, i have just recently bought a 96litre tank and was wondering how many fish ideally i can put in it?
Also i have just filled the tank up with tap water and de-chlorinated it all, now i have been told to get a couple of danios and some barbs,then after a couple of days test the ammonioa levels in the water.
Please if anyone could help me out i'd be very grateful. :?
jason forway

Postby Apistogramma » Wed Jun 27, 2007 4:23 pm

Hi Jason and welcome to the forum!!

Well done for taking the time to ask questions before starting, it's so exciting to choose your first fish and take them home!! :D
You need to cycle your tank first - check out this link http://www.thetropicaltank.co.uk/cycling.htm
Otherwise you'll be putting the health of your fish at risk.

It's not just the amount of water your tank holds that determines how many fish you can keep but the shape is also important in determining what type of fish you can keep. The 'experts' will need to know the tanks length, width and height too. (If the tank volume is the one on the box it will more than likely state the capacity as more than it really is).
Before you chose the first fish to put in your tank while it matures it would help to think of what you want as the end result - what type of fish do you want to keep?
Check the fish index http://www.thetropicaltank.co.uk/Fishindx/fishindx.htm to get some ideas and post on here what takes your fancy and the other forum members will help you compile a really good stocking list.
Enjoy the forum and your fish and don't be afraid to ask loads of questions!! (I've asked hundreds and I've still not stopped...hehe) :D And welcome once again!
Becky

*Aimlessly drives around in the steam roller with Karena's now fairly blunt scissors...and Lisa's hedge trimmer*

Apistogramma

Postby Rockfish » Wed Jun 27, 2007 4:33 pm

Hi,

Is this a Juwel Rekord 96? (Just guessing from the volume).

If so, your actual volume of water will be a bit less, allowing for the fill level, substrate, decor, etc. If you work with 10% less, about 86 litres (or about 19 gallons), that will be a bit closer to the true value.

There are various guidelines (and they are only that, not hard and fast rules), based mostly on volume or surface area.

For example, one guideline used is 1" of fish per gallon - hence you could have 19 x 1" long fish (like small tetras), or say 9-10 x 2" fish. Some sources say up to 2" of fish length per gallon in a mature tank, but this is definitely a maximum and pushes the boundaries somewhat (and requires more water changes and tank maintenance).

Using surface area, one guideline says 1" of fish length per 12 square inches. In your tank this would equate to about 32" of fish - so it falls in between the 1" and 2" of fish per gallon guidelines above - as you can see there is some variation on recommendations!

So the best rule is to allow some leeway and stock lightly, especially if you're relatively inexperienced. However many you end up adding, remember that they must be added gradually.

In case you're not familiar with it, this link on Cycling explains why. EDIT: oops, Becky has already posted this link - but at least that emphasises the importance we place on it!
Sean

Remember there's lots of info at The Tropical Tank main site!
Rockfish
Site Admin

Postby Apistogramma » Wed Jun 27, 2007 4:45 pm

Rockfish wrote:In case you're not familiar with it, this link on Cycling explains why. EDIT: oops, Becky has already posted this link - but at least that emphasises the importance we place on it!

And it proves you learn lots here too :D
Becky

*Aimlessly drives around in the steam roller with Karena's now fairly blunt scissors...and Lisa's hedge trimmer*

Apistogramma

thanks

Postby jason forway » Thu Jun 28, 2007 4:23 am

Thanks guys for giving me some needy advice,my tank is a rekord 96.I would like to eventually incorpriate a wide range of colourful fish all different shapes and sizes. But need advice cos im a bit of a novice and need all the help i can get. Cheers Jay
jason forway

Postby Wolfgirl » Thu Jun 28, 2007 5:01 am

Well, you're in the right place for advice. :) We were all beginners once; hopefully we can help you out.

I would definitely recommend reading the Beginners section of the main site as linked to, and follow the advice on cycling. This will help prevent fish deaths. :)

Once you've done the fishless cycle, you can slowly add fish.

Some colourful fish that are often overlooked in favour of barbs or tetras are rainbowfish. Your best bet, though, is to research all kinds of fish well before you buy, to ensure that you can provide the right environment for them. :)

You're doing well so far!
Don't let your mind wander. It's too small to be let out on its own.
~John Wagner
Wolfgirl
Site Admin

Return to Beginners