Add aquarium salt?

New to fishkeeping? This is the place to find out whatever you need to know!

Add aquarium salt?

Postby Lynton » Thu Jun 28, 2007 2:33 pm

Hi all,

OK - Water levels stabilised, tank restocked and lots of happy fish tucking into their cucumber.........

60l Biorb (Yes I know! I have learnt)
2 Black Mollys
5 Male guppies
4 Neon Tetras

Lots of real plants which seem particularly attractive to Black & Mambazo (The Mollies)

Ammonia 0 (Hurrah - finally!!!!!!)
Nitrites 0
Nitrates 10-20
Ph 7.4 (Hard water area)

All tested using API Liquid kit with the diddy test tubes.

Now reading up on mollys and gupys - some sites say add some aquariumn salt, some say don't need it.

Do I or don't I. To me - freshwater = no salt,

However opinion seems to be divided. At the moment I have put some in ( approx 1/2 tablespoon) to a 20l water change.

Is this good / bad / indifferent?

Fish seem happy - and if you read the marketing bulls##t on the box, its good for them.

Any advice appreciated.

Cheers

Lynton
Lynton

Postby David » Thu Jun 28, 2007 2:45 pm

Why add salt to a freshwater tank? :wink:

salt doesn't really have any use in freshwater aquariums. The mollys would appreciate it however your neons will suffer you add salt constantly, so i would stop.

HTH

David
David

Postby Lynton » Thu Jun 28, 2007 3:05 pm

thanks David,

Exactly what I was thinking.

Freshwater = no salt.

I assume that Marine has a much high concentration.

For a community tank I think I will stop adding.
Lynton

Postby Apistogramma » Thu Jun 28, 2007 4:22 pm

Hi Lynton,

Just to explain why some sources suggest addition of salts - water that isn't fresh, but isn't salt, is known as brackish or brack and most commonly found in esturies were fresh water and salt mix. A few species, mollies included, do well in brackish environments (according to the lit. I've read). However given clean water they live long and happy lives in the freshwater aquarium...So hopefully that explains it...
Becky

*Aimlessly drives around in the steam roller with Karena's now fairly blunt scissors...and Lisa's hedge trimmer*

Apistogramma

Postby Wolfgirl » Fri Jun 29, 2007 1:31 am

If you only had fish in that tank that normally lived in brackish water, then you could consider adding salt. As stated above, mollies are brackish water fish, but they can do just fine in freshwater. But as you have a mix of brackish and freshwater fish, you shouldn't add salt because it can actually harm your freshwater fish.

Don't let Sean see this topic. ;)
Don't let your mind wander. It's too small to be let out on its own.
~John Wagner
Wolfgirl
Site Admin

Postby gbk » Fri Jun 29, 2007 2:08 am

I've just mentioned in another thread that I'd heard that mollies like hard water and a little salt. Some marine tanks have even been cycled using mollies. They are generally very hardy but they need hard water. This is unfortunate as neons do best in soft, acidic water. Both species are hardy though and so I'd go for the compromise and leave the salt out but make sure your water is quite hard.
gbk

Return to Beginners