Fish Stocking

New to fishkeeping? This is the place to find out whatever you need to know!

Fish Stocking

Postby Lynton » Thu Jun 28, 2007 2:40 pm

OK - have read many suggestions and formulae for stocking which I have seen from 1" per litre, 1" per gallon, and various others based upon surface area etc.

I seem to be somewhere in between, the tank is now full, and regular 1/3 water changes I seem to have happy fish.

How do LFS manage to stock their sale tanks so densely? Even with many fish being sold on a daily basis, they are replenished.

Just asking out of curiousity as my LFS seems to sell lots of healthy happy fish.

Cheers guys.
Lynton

Postby Superman » Thu Jun 28, 2007 2:42 pm

dont forget at the LFS they're only babies so they'll be able to keep more fish in their tanks.
12"x10"x8" Optiwhite Journal Link

Juwel Vision 180 Journal Link
Superman

Postby David » Thu Jun 28, 2007 2:49 pm

They have a massive filteration system, i mean massive over filtration. Fish don't stay in there long so the tanks are not always packed full.

And as super man says, most are still only babies so they produce less waste than adults.

HTH

David
David

Re: Fish Stocking

Postby moocowmoneybox » Thu Jun 28, 2007 2:51 pm

Lynton wrote:How do LFS manage to stock their sale tanks so densely? Even with many fish being sold on a daily basis, they are replenished.

Just asking out of curiousity as my LFS seems to sell lots of healthy happy fish.

Cheers guys.

What you dont see at fish shops is they normally have a huge (and i mean huge) sump filter system in the back areas, so the actual volume of water and surface area is greater than what you can see on display. You may also find that they have a constant water change system in operation, or they do vast weekly changes.
Adrian
Rio 400 12/11/10

You dont need eyes to see, you need vision.
"There's someone in my head but it's not me..."
"Everybody has their vice"
moocowmoneybox

Postby Lynton » Thu Jun 28, 2007 3:01 pm

obvious really thinking about it.

Just now looking at their website and it tells you how they do it. What is clever is that 4 shops across East Anglia, and each controls its tanks to match the local water so fish dont get so stressed when moving.

They also take back fish that have outgrown their tanks including Twiglet - a pleco of some kind (i shall find out more next time I visit) who has his own 10000 l (yes you did read that correctly) tank.

Also got a huge marine section - am I allowed to mention that on here? - some really pretty (and expensive!!) fish
Lynton

Postby David » Thu Jun 28, 2007 3:11 pm

who has his own 10000 l (yes you did read that correctly) tank.

I know someone with a 20ft tank! :wink:
David

Postby Lynton » Thu Jun 28, 2007 3:23 pm

aka swimming pool?

Other than commercials such as London / Capetown aquarium, I wonder what is the largest aquarium. (Ie in a house and not for commercial reasons)
Lynton

Postby kbochat » Thu Jun 28, 2007 3:39 pm

here in the states we have a store called ABT electronics.

They have had a fish tank in their store for last couple of decades. When they moved they built a mammoth one. 7500 gallons.

http://www.abtelectronics.com/about/fish/fishtank_info.php3
kbochat

Postby Apistogramma » Thu Jun 28, 2007 4:24 pm

One day I have got to visit a private individual (as opposed to all the marine centres etc) who have one of these huuuge tanks...I really can't imagine the thrill!! :shock:
Becky

*Aimlessly drives around in the steam roller with Karena's now fairly blunt scissors...and Lisa's hedge trimmer*

Apistogramma

Postby krekra » Thu Jun 28, 2007 5:23 pm

What the LFS also dont mention is that 2-3 times a day they do a scoop through to get any dead and dieing fish out of the tanks :?

There is a storen near me that sells outdoor fishing/camping and adventure geer. They hav a huge tank that they use for demonstrating fly fishing in.....no hooks of course :lol:

Its called the bass pro shop and the tank is 30,000 US gallons and houses local speceir of bass, perch, and catfish. The pics scroll through and you can see the tank but not the details or the fish. I could sit and watch them all day!!

http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/store ... &storeID=2
Karena

Just because you can doesnt always mean you should!
krekra

Postby kbochat » Fri Jun 29, 2007 8:22 am

yah we have one of those places out here near Gurnee, IL. that is pretty cool too.
kbochat

Return to Beginners