new 20 gal

New to fishkeeping? This is the place to find out whatever you need to know!

new 20 gal

Postby wadenator » Thu Jun 28, 2007 10:34 pm

i recently got a new 20 gallon (24" x 12" x 16"). i purchased three red mickey mouse platys (one male and two female), one male silver sailfin molly and two black mollies (1 male, 1 female). my question is will the silver molly incorporate with the black mollies? or do i need to buy another female molly since there should be more females than males?
wadenator

Postby chase malase » Fri Jun 29, 2007 12:17 am

i think they should be fine(even though i have never owned mollies i have reseacherd them).but if you want you may buy 1 if you want because you will have more then enough space :P :)

i cureently own a 20g tank
stocking-
-3 glass catfish
-1 albeno cory
-1 b nose catfish
-4 zebra danios
-2 guppies(12 3 week old babies)
-5neon tetras

to be safe you could probly stock about 24 small fish in your tank
chase malase

Postby wadenator » Fri Jun 29, 2007 12:24 am

thanks. i plan on getting more fish. i just wanted to get some hardy starter fish since the tank is fairly new...just to see how things would go. any suggestions on other types of fish to potentially add?
wadenator

Postby Wolfgirl » Fri Jun 29, 2007 1:34 am

Firstly, how did you cycle your tank? How long has it been set up? :)

When you set up a tank, you should add fish slowly. You actually don't have that much more room in your tank for fish. The problem is, you have livebearers, which means you are soon likely to have a lot of little fry in the tank (if any of them survive being eaten by their parents). Livebearer females are almost constantly pregnant.

Generally, it is advised to have more females than males because the males hassle the females to no end. But I would not recommend adding any more fish to your tank yet. It's too new. :?

Do you have any test kits?
Don't let your mind wander. It's too small to be let out on its own.
~John Wagner
Wolfgirl
Site Admin

Postby gbk » Fri Jun 29, 2007 2:04 am

I bought some black mollies for my tank a while ago but they didn't last long - decveloped white spot after a few weeks which I cured but then they died a few weeks after that. I read afterwards that block mollies like hard water and a little salt. I was filling the tank with mostly rain water....
gbk

Postby Wolfgirl » Fri Jun 29, 2007 4:43 am

Using rainwater is not usually a good idea, because we have no way of knowing what sort of pollutants and particulates have been rained down (coz us humans are so caring for our planet), and what effect they will have on the fish.
Don't let your mind wander. It's too small to be let out on its own.
~John Wagner
Wolfgirl
Site Admin

Return to Beginners