new tank, fishless cycling

New to fishkeeping? This is the place to find out whatever you need to know!

new tank, fishless cycling

Postby craighunter1990 » Fri Jun 29, 2007 4:57 am

hello

I have finnaly got my new tank i have opted for the eheim classic 100 which is a 180L tank.

The tank came equiped with an eheim classic 2213 externall filter and heater and light system.

I am doing a fishless cycle using prawns.

I set the tank up on sunday night and left the temperature to equalise and planned to add the monday night although the water was still cloudy and wee bit dirty from the new stones so i changed a lot of the water and left it to settle. I added the prawns on wednesday night.

Thursday morning and the living room smelling awfull which is a good sidng as the prawns are obviously decaying.

I am not going to test the water until tommorow as i am following the same procees that clelhead used i have a print out of what he done and how he did it with the prawns.

Right now the tank has some bogwood and a few stones in it there is no plants as i have read that they can interfere with readings.

I am usng the API master freshwater test kit as i have read a lot of good feedback on this forum.

Does this sound ok or should i be doing anything else?

thanks

craig
craighunter1990

Postby chase malase » Fri Jun 29, 2007 5:14 am

sounds perfect to me. congrads on new tank

what fish will you be considering on buying??
im very curious :roll:
chase malase

Postby craighunter1990 » Fri Jun 29, 2007 5:19 am

i think i shall be getting gouramis

Once i have the gouramis i will see what i can get that wont fight with them etc. Have you got any ideas?

I live in inverness and the only pet shops we have are a large chain which are the worst ever for fish (talking from experiance) and a wee acorn pet center which doesnt have much selection so i am getting my fish from an excelent wee pet shop in lossiemouth.

*Moderator Edit* Name removed as we can't slam individual shops here - sorry */Edit*
craighunter1990

Return to Beginners