Water quality

New to fishkeeping? This is the place to find out whatever you need to know!

Water quality

Postby spotted grunter » Sat Jun 16, 2007 7:03 am

Hi,

I have water from the tap at 180 dH and 240Kh (that is as high as the test kit goes) do I have a problem?
spotted grunter

Re: Water quality

Postby krekra » Sat Jun 16, 2007 2:43 pm

spotted grunter wrote:Hi,

I have water from the tap at 180 dH and 240Kh (that is as high as the test kit goes) do I have a problem?

let me see if I can work this out for you....

the preferred degrees dH for most freshwater fish is 5.5 to 22 dH so yes your water is extreemly hard. It seems unreasonably so to me. Is this the water from your tap?? Or the water from your tank??

Does your test kit do kH, GH, and pH?? What brand and type f kit are you using. Is it a liquid test kit or a dip strip?? Oh and also what regoin do you live in and is this well or city water??

K
Karena

Just because you can doesnt always mean you should!
krekra

Postby Rockfish » Sat Jun 16, 2007 6:19 pm

Hi sg,

Your readings are in ppm (parts per million), and are equivalent to 10 degrees GH and approx 13 degrees KH, which most people will be more familiar with.

A GH of 10 is fairly hard water, but not excessively so and well within the range most common tropicals will thrive in.

The KH is quite high, but shouldn't cause any problem. High KH values tend to make the pH very stable, which is of course a good thing.
Sean

Remember there's lots of info at The Tropical Tank main site!
Rockfish
Site Admin

Postby krekra » Sat Jun 16, 2007 7:18 pm

thanks for clearing that up. It didnt make sense in my head.....I dont know where my conversion math was going??// Makes more sense now!!
Karena

Just because you can doesnt always mean you should!
krekra

Return to Beginners