snails and cory cats

New to fishkeeping? This is the place to find out whatever you need to know!

snails and cory cats

Postby susan » Wed Jul 18, 2007 7:30 am

Hi there, looking for a bit of advice, myself and my family have recently bought a large tropical aquarium, we had one years ago and have missed it. We are now having a snail problem, I have read all the bits of advice on the net about dealing with them, and realy wish I had treated the plants prior to putting them in the tank!! However, I was wondering, lots of the advice says that loaches are very good at keeping on top of snails, but I did not particularly want a loach and I wondered if cory cats would do a similar job in eating the small snails?? :)
susan

Postby JBC223456 » Wed Jul 18, 2007 8:39 am

Cory cats won't eat snails. The cories can get through the snail's hard shell. There are many kool looking loaches around, some of which only get to 4" long. :wink:
JBC223456

thanks for your reply jacob

Postby susan » Wed Jul 18, 2007 8:54 am

Thanks for that Jacob, I will have a look around at the loaches, I am not hugely into having fish about a foot long swiming around beside me in the livingroom!!
Will go and research 'little' loaches! :D
susan

Postby Wolfgirl » Wed Jul 18, 2007 9:33 am

In the meantime, since many loaches are very sensitive and shouldn't be added to newish tanks, you might consider using some of the suggestions here: Snails
Don't let your mind wander. It's too small to be let out on its own.
~John Wagner
Wolfgirl
Site Admin

loaches

Postby susan » Wed Jul 18, 2007 10:27 am

Thanks I am going to try the baiting thing this week, we go on holiday next week for 2 weeks so I am not planning to add anymore fish for a while, but don't want to come back to snail epidemic.
Thanks again
Susan :D
susan

Postby David » Wed Jul 18, 2007 3:07 pm

Mentioned in the article link Wolfgirl sent, snail populations ussually boost when there is excess food around. Which means you could be overfeeding.

Try feeding a bit less.

What size is the tank?

David
David

Tank size

Postby susan » Thu Jul 19, 2007 8:45 am

Hi David,
Yes I gave the fish less food at teatime, the tank is 150litres not sure what that is in gallons? Have put in a chunk of cucumber and fished a few more snails out (18 to be precise) but when I get back from my holidays i am going to get some dwarf loaches to help me keep on top of the snails.
Thanks for your reply, its great to get bits of information from people, more often than not the staff in the local fish shop are very busy and you often feel you shouldn't have a list of questions each time, also they only give their opinion which I feel isn't always right!!!
Thanks again
Susan :)
susan

Postby David » Sat Jul 21, 2007 2:48 pm

Dwarf chain loaches should do the job, but they can be expensive (up to £13, then they need a shoal) and quite sensitive so i would recommend a 6 month old tank before considering them, same for most loaches.

On another note, stay away from snail killers. They will kill the snails but you will end up with tonnes of dead snails at the top polluting the water, just something to think about. :wink:

David
David

loaches

Postby susan » Sun Jul 22, 2007 5:50 am

Thanks for your input, we have removed loads by hand and when we come back from our holidays are going to buy some dwarf loaches, I also gave the tanks a really good clean out, removing the ornaments and plants and cleaning off all the tiny snails. We have used bait but this has not been too successful, will carry on with the snail battle though.
Thanks again
susan
susan

Postby dev » Tue Aug 14, 2007 2:20 am

got a new tank set up then noticed that a snail had got in on one of the plants. also found holes in another plant. I read that the zebra loach (Botia histrionica) is a snail eater but only grow to 6cm. anyone with experience of these and how quickly can they be put into a new tank set up.
180L Juwel vision (w92cm x l40cm x h55cm )
5 zebra danios
4 corydoras sterbai
4 siamese flying foxes
4 neon blue guppies
4 variated platys
Planted
fine river gravel substrate
dev

Postby Angel Fish » Tue Aug 14, 2007 2:32 am

I wouldn't recommend putting any species of Loach in a tank that had been cycled and stable for less than 3 months.
All the advice I give is based on my own personal 30 years of experience.
Main TT Page
Diabetes Forum
Angel Fish

Postby dev » Tue Aug 14, 2007 3:05 am

any recommendations for snail control in a new tank? or can it wait a bit if the snails won't multiply too quickly.
180L Juwel vision (w92cm x l40cm x h55cm )
5 zebra danios
4 corydoras sterbai
4 siamese flying foxes
4 neon blue guppies
4 variated platys
Planted
fine river gravel substrate
dev

Postby Angel Fish » Tue Aug 14, 2007 4:21 am

It depends how many snails you've got really. If there are only a few the easiest way is to add a lettuce leaf over night and then remove it and the snails in the morning.
There are snail traps available, but IMO, they're really not worth the money.
All the advice I give is based on my own personal 30 years of experience.
Main TT Page
Diabetes Forum
Angel Fish

Postby David » Tue Aug 14, 2007 4:59 am

I read that the zebra loach (Botia histrionica) is a snail eater but only grow to 6cm.

Zebra loaches and botia histrionica are different. Zebra loaches are botia straita and botia histrionica goes by the common name golden zebra loach, neither grow to 6cm. Botia striata, zebra loach grows to 3-4" (7.5-10cm) and botia histrionica, golden zebra loach grows to at least 5-6" (13cm-15.5cm theres debate to the size). The only loaches that only get to about 6cm are a few brook loaches (Not suitable for basic tropical aquaria) and dwarf chain loach, yasuhikotakia sidthimunki which has been mentioned in this thread.

I would wait for at least 6 months till adding any sort of loach.

I don't see snails as a bad thing, they only get a nusence (spelling?) when the population increases which is when you add too much food, then they become ugly and annoying to look at. As long as you don't over feed there should be very few snails in the tank. :)

David
David

snails gone!!

Postby susan » Tue Aug 14, 2007 8:21 am

Yes, the overfeeding seems to be what had accelarated my problem, being new to this game, i felt sorry for the fish thought they were always hungry and fed them too much, gave my whole tanke a thorough clean including the external filter which was riddled with snails and then cut back the feeding big time, its now a while since i have seen a snail and before i was fishing out well into double figures easily everyday. Hope this helps, as I was despairing myself about them cos I personally don't like them some people do.

Susan :D
susan

Next

Return to Beginners