snails and cory cats

New to fishkeeping? This is the place to find out whatever you need to know!

Postby chaoz » Wed Aug 15, 2007 7:12 am

snails arnt a bad thing in small numbers they will eat debris from your tank
if you are thinking of gettin loaches they need a sand substrate and caves to hide in(gravel can damage there whiskers/barbles)
i just net snails in mine and add them to my pond lots of weed in there for them to thrive on :)
chaoz

Postby David » Thu Aug 16, 2007 5:50 am

if you are thinking of gettin loaches they need a sand substrate and caves to hide in(gravel can damage there whiskers/barbles)

Smooth gravel will be OK. :wink:
David

Postby Donnaw33 » Thu Aug 16, 2007 6:28 am

Hiya

I have 3 clown loaches all about 2 1/2 inches long now and i have quite big but smooth gravel and sometimes at night you hear a sort of knocking sound and when you look it is the clowns moving all the stones to get to the bottom of the tank.

Some nights the tanks is full of little snails like a liquorice whirl rather than "proper" snails with shells on them, and by the morning they are all gone. In one of my live bearer tanks i have got 2 "proper" snails which must have came off a plant and i like them in there, i like to watch them move around, and am amazed at how fast they move.

Donna x
Donnaw33

Postby Evie » Sun Sep 02, 2007 7:35 pm

Hi! Seeing we're talking snails, what's the best way of treating new plants before putting them in the tank? I have soaked them in tap water for a couple hours and given them a good shake about with no success, every time I get a new plant I get a small population explosion, keep having to buy plants as they keep dying boo hoo (I have given in now and gone partly artificial..)
Cheers
Evie
Evie

Previous

Return to Beginners