A chart

New to fishkeeping? This is the place to find out whatever you need to know!

A chart

Postby jzaine » Sat Jun 16, 2007 2:49 pm

I figured that in the future there are going to be compatibility questions so I decided to post this.

http://www.petco.com/assets/livefish/fr ... chart.html

If anyone finds something wrong with it, like a certain fish combo is wrong, than just post it. :wink:
Hope it helps in the future.
"We feel your passion through and through, Philadelphia fans I love you." Harry kalas 1936-2009
jzaine

Postby dw » Sat Jun 16, 2007 4:02 pm

Personally I think it's too generalised as even within groups you'll find a wide range of sizes, aggression, water requirements etc. I'm not saying it's useless, but it's not exactly foolproof either :wink:
Andy
dw

Postby krekra » Sat Jun 16, 2007 4:05 pm

It hurts my eyes :shock:
Karena

Just because you can doesnt always mean you should!
krekra

Postby dw » Sat Jun 16, 2007 4:07 pm

I wonder if you stare at it for long enough do you see a hidden picture? lol
Andy
dw

Postby Apistogramma » Sat Jun 16, 2007 4:42 pm

Oh my...vivid! But it might be a good starting point for people to create a general stocking list and then bring it before the experts to tweek.
Becky

*Aimlessly drives around in the steam roller with Karena's now fairly blunt scissors...and Lisa's hedge trimmer*

Apistogramma

Postby krekra » Sat Jun 16, 2007 5:03 pm

I think I see Herbert Hoover :o
Karena

krekra

Postby jzaine » Sat Jun 16, 2007 5:29 pm

krekra wrote:I think I see Herbert Hoover :o

Really? I see Jesus. :o :lol:

Personally I think it's too generalised as even within groups you'll find a wide range of sizes, aggression, water requirements etc. I'm not saying it's useless, but it's not exactly foolproof either

Yeah. It pretty much gives a basis to base your stocking around.
"We feel your passion through and through, Philadelphia fans I love you." Harry kalas 1936-2009
jzaine

Postby TigerBarb » Sun Jun 17, 2007 12:43 am

The chart might go some way towards reducing the number of queries like....

"I've had my 18" tank set up for 3 days and have added a goldfish, a small koi, an oscar, 2 angel fish and a couple of tiger barbs. Some of them aren't looking very happy... why?"

Unfortunately it probably won't stop the....

"Am I OK to add a bala shark and 2 clown loaches, which a friend bought me for my birthday?"

Oh well.
TigerBarb

Postby David » Sun Jun 17, 2007 4:09 am

Thats awful!!!

So i can have koi with loaches.

To start with, there are few loaches that will live with winters outside in a pond, most of those (cobitis) are very hard to find(saying that, there are loads in my local stream), also who's to say a person may say i'll keep a 24" koi with 5 3" loaches, those loaches are dooomed!

And i can also keep african cichlids with oscars! OO kum on!

I could go on.

Not worth using!
David

Postby Angel Fish » Sun Jun 17, 2007 5:21 am

Before we condem this completely, can I just say well done to Joe? You've obviously been studying and thinking a lot about your fish and adding this chart just goes to show how you value us as a community (it is designed to help after all)
How about adapting it a bit? Add some different species within family groups, you only need to use the most common fish to start with, for example, Tetras. There are hundreds of different Tetras and they are not all compatible with other Tetras, some may be fin nippers (Serpae), some may be quite delicate and need mature tanks and smaller tank mates (Neons). The lists are endless.

Might be something for you to do if you get bored during the summer :wink:
All the advice I give is based on my own personal 30 years of experience.
Main TT Page
Diabetes Forum
Angel Fish

Postby David » Sun Jun 17, 2007 5:58 am

First off, i would like to apologise for the original post, only really skimmed a few looking to catch something out. :oops:

I am now thinking this is yours Joe?

If so i will try and help you in any,way shape or form!(esp with danios and loaches :P, do send me a PM)

I was under the impression it was PETCO's(is it? i think i'm confusing myself here.)

Most fish charts around are very very poor and to be honest, even though it's not perfect it's the best I've seen!

I agree with the others in that the it's to generalised, EG, loaches and Koi, most loaches are warm water but there are a few that could live with koi(EG Misgurnus fossilis i think can live outside in ponds with koi as long as they are 3"+ and the koi are around 2") so that needs clearing up, and as AF said about the tetras.

Another thing is that "african" cichlids again is too generalised, some drawfs like kribs can go in with larger robust fish, not delicate fish like tetras. Other african cichlids like malawis will not live in community's at all!
:?

One last little comment to help a bit.
If you find a goldfish that wont eat a plant or move it, PM me and i will travel all the way over there and buy it. :lol: :lol:

Looking at it again i see many more rights than wrongs!

Again i apologise!

David
David

Postby prouton » Sun Jun 17, 2007 6:10 am

No, it is a Petco webpage, although if someone really wanted to modify it they could copy the source and images, and re-host it themselves (copyright violations not withstanding).

Petco has certainly oversimplified things (Barbs? They lump all "Barbs" into one category?), and erred on the generous side with "can usually coexist". I have no doubt that in some cases the "yellow" classification can work...I just wouldn't recommend them if your information is limited to this chart.

But kudos to jzaine for the effort and intent.

*edit* replace PetSmart with Petco -- my bad
Last edited by prouton on Sun Jun 17, 2007 6:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Current favorite movie line:
How could he get that far in five minutes?
The lady must have been willing.
prouton

Postby Apistogramma » Sun Jun 17, 2007 6:55 am

David wrote:One last little comment to help a bit.
If you find a goldfish that wont eat a plant or move it, PM me and i will travel all the way over there and buy it. :lol: :lol:

David

If you ever find one check it hasn't been eating superglue...

And here's an idea: How about some suggested stocking lists, either stickied here or on the main site. It might be useful to base them around tank size and popular species such as angelfish, tetras, pleco's etc. That would help to give people at least some ideas of what kind of communities they could keep. When I first became interested in fish keeping I saw Bala sharks, really liked them and only then realised I needed to start them in a 4ft tank and possibly expand after I'd asked on here and waited for a reply - after which I changed tack entirely and discovered South American Dwarf Cichlids...which again took a while to click that members of the same family are easier to keep together due to their water perameter preferences and behaviour. Browsing a few possible community tank ideas would probably have helped narrow down my choices a little as I was totally overwhelmed by the sheer number of fish and knowing nothing about any of them couldn't decide where to start!
Becky

*Aimlessly drives around in the steam roller with Karena's now fairly blunt scissors...and Lisa's hedge trimmer*

Apistogramma

Postby krekra » Sun Jun 17, 2007 6:56 am

petco.....I think I see a duck riding a unicycle....
Karena

krekra

Postby Apistogramma » Sun Jun 17, 2007 7:01 am

You guys are just being silly - it's obviously an upside down fish bowl...
Becky

Apistogramma

Next

Return to Beginners