A chart

New to fishkeeping? This is the place to find out whatever you need to know!

Postby jzaine » Sun Jun 17, 2007 8:18 am

Prouton is Right, I didn't make it. I will try and do one myself over the summer but I can't gurantee anything. I will do some research on how to make a compatibility chart along with research on each fish group. I will base it around that chart.

The main problem with the chart is that it is way too vague. I would like to know why they only have Female betta's and not males. Don't worry about it Das, your intent was good.

And your all wrong. It's Theodore Roosevelt. :wink:
"We feel your passion through and through, Philadelphia fans I love you." Harry kalas 1936-2009
jzaine

Postby krekra » Sun Jun 17, 2007 8:35 am

I think thats a great idea Joe. How about starting with some lists. Like

small (under 3 inches) community shoaling fish

small community fish that are OK as a single species

small fish not good for a peacefull community but often sold as such

and so on. Come up with 8-10 catagories based on smaller aquarium fish. and commonly sold tank busters..ie not including the bigger oddballs

We could help you sort them out and then you could work on some sort of chart to organise them....sort of a beginners guide.

Just a thought :D
Karena

Just because you can doesnt always mean you should!
krekra

Postby jzaine » Sun Jun 17, 2007 8:41 am

Good idea K. I will download the trial version of Excell in a few days that way I can start adding things. I have nothing to do right now so I will work on the schoaling fish and the community. Need a little research before the tank busters right now I only know of the Bala sharks. (I think that's the one, make that a lot of research lol)
"We feel your passion through and through, Philadelphia fans I love you." Harry kalas 1936-2009
jzaine

Postby jzaine » Sun Jun 17, 2007 8:45 am

Sorry, a little bit confused here. For the lists, should I put in the compatibilityor the information on the fish?
jzaine

Postby krekra » Sun Jun 17, 2007 8:58 am

Keep it simple to start and just generate some lists of fish in types. No need to add much info on the species as that info is found on the main site.

I would just start with things like

small peaceful community shoals(small danios, rasbora, lemon tetra, neons etc.....)
small peaceful live bearers( guppies, platys...)
small peaceful bottom dweller shoals(panda cory, bronze cory, zebra loach...)
small peaceful community singles or pairs(dwarf gourami, rams, etc...)
small semi-agressive shoals(tiger barbs, ...etc
small semi agressive simgles(bettas...

medium sized centerpiece fish for a peaceful community...(pearly gourami, ...etc
and so on.

It sounds like a lot of work but might end up with something cool and you would learn a lot along the way. The rest of us could help you sort them. Stick to commonly found species in your LFS. The end goal would maybe be a list or chart to help beginers choose a nice tank set up.
Karena

krekra

Postby jzaine » Sun Jun 17, 2007 9:00 am

Oh ok thanks for the clarifying.
jzaine

Postby dw » Sun Jun 17, 2007 1:33 pm

I didn't think about the whole good intent thing, sorry mate. I think making a chart is a really good idea though, and I'll gladly help out if I can :)
Andy
dw

Postby David » Sun Jun 17, 2007 1:53 pm

dw wrote:I didn't think about the whole good intent thing, sorry mate. I think making a chart is a really good idea though, and I'll gladly help out if I can :)

I'll second that.

I was actually going to make one when our summer hols come!

:lol:

small peaceful community shoals(small danios, rasbora, lemon tetra, neons etc.....)
small peaceful live bearers( guppies, platys...)
small peaceful bottom dweller shoals(panda cory, bronze cory, zebra loach...)
small peaceful community singles or pairs(dwarf gourami, rams, etc...)
small semi-agressive shoals(tiger barbs, ...etc
small semi agressive simgles(bettas...

I could see some problems with i'm afraid, ie, zebra danios are associated with fin nipping, and most dainos are fast lively swimmers, i wouldn't count them as peaceful. :?

???

I think that would be hard to pull of to be honest. :?
David

Postby krekra » Sun Jun 17, 2007 1:57 pm

I could see some problems with i'm afraid, ie, zebra danios are associated with fin nipping, and most dainos are fast lively swimmers, i wouldn't count them as peaceful.

I have had zebra danios in all my tanks with angels and gourami, and even with a Betta and never a nipped fin in sight.

bu that is a good example why these thypes of charts are hard to create because everyones experiences and opinions are different.

:mrgreen:
Karena

krekra

Postby David » Sun Jun 17, 2007 1:59 pm

Well yeah, alot of fish act in different way.

My danios once shredded my weather loaches fins! :shock:

I think for those fish, something like "species will differ"
David

Postby Rockfish » Sun Jun 17, 2007 3:21 pm

but that is a good example why these thypes of charts are hard to create because everyones experiences and opinions are different

Exactly! :)

This is why I haven't tried to produce one on the main site!

By the time you're done with the exceptions and the YMMV's, the 'rules' you're trying to create are in tatters!

The "selecting fish" part on the beginners page is the nearest I've got to tackling this, apart from the individual fish profiles of course - it's always a good idea to check individual species info with 2-3 reliable sources in any case!

My aim in creating the profiles in the Fish Index was to combine personal experience (in many cases) with checking several reliable sources, so users of the Fish Index don't have to! However, I still wouldn't expect people not to check other sources for additional info, and not all species are covered of course - but the number will start to increase again soon. I may even prioritise based on suggestions in a future thread - might as well start with profiles that users of the forum would like to see!

Sorry to wander off topic to ramble on about the main site, but I'm quite looking forward to getting back to working on it soon!
Sean

Remember there's lots of info at The Tropical Tank main site!
Rockfish
Site Admin

Postby jzaine » Sun Jun 17, 2007 3:22 pm

Ok david. lol. thanks for the tip with the danio.
jzaine

Postby jzaine » Mon Jun 18, 2007 4:12 pm

Small peaceful community shoals(small danios*, rasbora, lemon tetra, neons, black widows*, cardinal tetra.)
Peaceful live breeders ( Guppies, Platies.)
Small peaceful bottom dweller shoals(panda Cory, bronze Cory, zebra loach, Three lined Cory, Peppered Cory.)
small semi agressive singles(bettas, rainbow shark.)

I wasn;t sure about the danio and the black widows being there because they can be known for fin nippers, and that's why the asterisk is there. It is pretty basic but I posted on here for more experienced members to add to it and shift stuff around. Have fun and thanks ahead of time for any help.
jzaine

Postby prouton » Mon Jun 18, 2007 10:41 pm

jzaine wrote:...I will download the trial version of Excell in a few days...

May I suggest downloading Open Office instead? The spreadsheet application will do most of the same things as MS Excel, won't expire in 30-60-90 days, and the data files it creates can be used later in MS Office if need be. There's lots of documentation and training available, including a "for Dummies" book if desired.

Oh...did I mention that it's free?
Current favorite movie line:
How could he get that far in five minutes?
The lady must have been willing.
prouton

Postby jzaine » Tue Jun 19, 2007 4:44 am

Thanks for that. I have been looking for something to replace the huge microsoft office file and the mocrosoct works isn't too much smaller.
jzaine

PreviousNext

Return to Beginners