invertebrates in tropical tank

New to fishkeeping? This is the place to find out whatever you need to know!

invertebrates in tropical tank

Postby dev » Tue Aug 14, 2007 3:13 am

I want to add some invertebrates to my tank once matured. which are suitable ones for a community setup.

thought about clams as they supposedly keep nitrate levels down and aid filtration. would realy like a blue lobster (Cherax quadricarinatus) but read that they can sometimes be aggresive and mow down your plants. Which are suitable shrimps that won't get eaten if looking to get 10-12cm omnivores?
180L Juwel vision (w92cm x l40cm x h55cm )
5 zebra danios
4 corydoras sterbai
4 siamese flying foxes
4 neon blue guppies
4 variated platys
Planted
fine river gravel substrate
dev

Postby David » Tue Aug 14, 2007 5:06 am

Clams have a habit of when being added to a tank dieing then polluting the water badly, i wouldn't recommend them.
Blue lobsters shouldn't be trusted with fish, they could be potential prey.
There are many many shrimp out there but cherry shrimp and amano shrimp are the most common.

What other fish were you thinking?

These shrimp are small and could be seen as snacks to larger fish.

HTH

David
David

Postby dev » Tue Aug 14, 2007 9:17 am

still trying to come up with final stocking list. shortlisted ideas so far:

ancistrus catfish
whiptail catfish (later)
peppered cory
kribensis
butterfly plec (or other smaller species later)
lake kutubu rainbowfish
elephantnose (later)
dwarf or 3 spot gourami
maybe larger tetras
siamese flying fox

on this point, can you recommend a good tropical freshwater fish guidebook. the ones i've seen are either quite superficial and don't provide enough depth, or are huge tomes, which I might get if I knew which one was most useful.
5 zebra danios
4 corydoras sterbai
4 siamese flying foxes
4 neon blue guppies
4 variated platys
Planted
dev

Postby chaoz » Wed Aug 15, 2007 7:16 am

what size tank have you got? as some of the fish in your list can grow extremly large
chaoz

Postby David » Thu Aug 16, 2007 5:46 am

Just to clear some things up, i don't know you tank size so i will concentrate on the compatibility but what are the tank dimensions?

ancistrus catfish
whiptail catfish (later) - What species are you thinking, they can range from 4" to someething like 16" if i'm not mistaken
peppered cory
kribensis - wont get on with the gouramis and could bully the elephantnose and some of the other fish
butterfly plec - "butterfly plecs" are hillstream loahces which need cool water and loads and loads of o2 and a massive flow to keep them happy.
lake kutubu rainbowfish
elephantnose (later)
dwarf or 3 spot gourami - wont get along well with the kribs
maybe larger tetras
siamese flying fox
David

Postby Apistogramma » Thu Aug 16, 2007 11:38 am

David wrote:
butterfly plec - "butterfly plecs" are hillstream loahces which need cool water and loads and loads of o2 and a massive flow to keep them happy.

I've studied these at Uni - they are an 'indicator' species, when found in the wild they indicate very clean water sources.
Becky

*Aimlessly drives around in the steam roller with Karena's now fairly blunt scissors...and Lisa's hedge trimmer*

Apistogramma

Postby dev » Tue Aug 21, 2007 8:32 am

180L tank, 92cm x 40cm x 55cm.

royal whiptail (S. panamense), read that this grows to 25cm. Probably get pair of these or pair of interesting loricariidae. the butterfly plec I was interested in was Peckoltia pulcher, didn't see anything about hill stream loach but may be wrong.

think I'll ditch the krib as they sound like they could be trouble if they start to breed. How territorial do dwarf gouramis get when breeding?
Thinking guppies now rather than tetras.

In terms of shrimp thinking towards wood shrimp rather than amano shrimp which looks like it would probably get eaten. When can you put shrimps into a tank? probably leave the clams- I guess it must be quite hard to see whether they have died as they aren't particularly active.
5 zebra danios
4 corydoras sterbai
4 siamese flying foxes
4 neon blue guppies
4 variated platys
Planted
dev

Postby David » Tue Aug 21, 2007 2:31 pm

36x16x21"

Wait until your tank is very mature at least 7-8 months imo to add the whiptails.
I've never heard clown plecs (Peckoltia pulcher) go by the name of butterfly plecs! Sorry for the mix up there.

I would tend to stay away from dwarf gouramis at the moment because it is hard to get a specimen that isn't infected with iridovirus. I would go 3 spot.

I would add shrimp to a tank older than 4months to be on the safe side.

David
David

Postby dev » Tue Aug 28, 2007 10:13 am

thanks for the tips. I think my next couple of months of fish selection are already catered for as I need to build up a clear up crew, algae eaters and get some snail eaters before they get to be too much of a problem.
5 zebra danios
4 corydoras sterbai
4 siamese flying foxes
4 neon blue guppies
4 variated platys
Planted
dev

Postby hippiepunk1 » Thu Sep 06, 2007 2:14 pm

I can recomend "mountain river shrimps" I have 8. they grow to around 3 inches long, are peaceful. they are a red/brown colour (similar to bogwood) with a single white strip running along their back. They have fans attached to their front pincers and both filter flowing water using these and also sift through the substrate with 2 tiny little pincers. Mine are surviving in a mixed community. the fish ignore them and they ignore the fish (with te exception of my plec which they frequently hitch a ride on.
hippiepunk1

Postby calsonic » Sat Sep 15, 2007 10:09 pm

if you want some info go to fish geeks they have a entire forum dedicated to invertebrates i looked into getting thembut i decied id rather have clown loaches but i would avoid crayfish as they will eat anything they can get butif you decide to get a crab they need dry land the link below will send you to the forum :D

www.aquaria.info
calsonic

Return to Beginners