Advice?

New to fishkeeping? This is the place to find out whatever you need to know!

Advice?

Postby Drunken » Wed Aug 22, 2007 2:33 am

Okay,

I have a 96 litre, 30" planted tank, with gravel substrate. I have had some teething problems, but have managed to get things right after combining frequent water changes and a lot of patience etc.

My current stocking is:

8 Neon Tetra
2 Botia Striata
1 Common Plec (I know, he will eventually need a bigger tank)
2 Zebra Danio (I did say I'd had some teething problems and there were more originally!)
2 Bronze Cory
2 Amano Shrimp (Somehow expecting the Botia to dine on these)
1 Male Guppy (Again, 2 passed away because I stupidly, and against my own better instinct, rushed the cycle)

Is that too much? Can I manage another Botia Striata (Zebra Loach) as I know they prefer a larger shoal? Any other "interesting" fish you could recommend?

I change about 20 litres every week. (Was more when I was having problems and I actually enjoyed it!)

Thanks

and great site by the way!
Drunken

Postby rainmaker69 » Wed Aug 22, 2007 3:26 am

IMHO You are pushing the stocking for your tank at mature status. If it was me, I would get rid of the botia, the shrimp, and the guppy and add 1 more cory. I would also up the water changes to at least 25 litres. Could you please let us know what you have for filteration and water movement? hth
Follow not in the footsteps of the Masters,
Seek what they sought.
rainmaker69

Postby Drunken » Wed Aug 22, 2007 6:58 pm

I have a fluval 2 Plus filter which I personally think I should upgrade, as it is for around 90 litres (It came with the tank as part of a "Starter Pack"). I have also added 2 airstones.

There is quite a bit of movement in the tank, and the Danio's in particular love playing in the Fluval outlet.

Regarding the Botia, I got them to prevent the few snails I have from becoming a bigger issue and they have settled in very nicely.
The shrimp are also favourites, but the Guppies were the wife's idea, so I'm not too worried about him.. :twisted:
Drunken

Postby David » Wed Aug 22, 2007 7:38 pm

I think your main problem is the pleco. They are very messy fish and do produce lots and lots of ammonia. Your best bet is to rehome him first. :wink:

Botia striata are neat little fish and as you have already said are shoaling fish and i don't blame you for not wanting to give them up.

8 Neon Tetra - 12"
2 Botia Striata - 6"
1 Common Plec - 24"! (should count as more as they produce so much waste)
2 Zebra Danio - 4"
2 Bronze Cory - 4"
2 Amano Shrimp - 2"
1 Male Guppy - 2"

That equals 54" and working on surface area you are 24" over stocked. So rehoming the plec immediately pulls you back to full stock.

The zebra loaches (Botias) danios and corys are shoaling fish so something needs to be changed. If you were to rehome the guppy then either the corys or danios. That should leave you to add 2 more corys or danios (depending on which ones you rehomed) and one more botia???
And just to add the botias would prefer being in shoals larger than 3 so perhaps rehomeing 2-3 neons could leave you with 4 botias?

HTH

David
David

Postby Drunken » Wed Aug 22, 2007 10:40 pm

This is some great advice. Now I just need to convince the wife that her beloved Mister P. is going to be happier elsewhere.

Here's a few snaps, some better quality than the others.

Thanks
Drunken

Postby chaoz » Thu Aug 23, 2007 1:44 am

buy a 6ft tank n keep them all :)
Unofficial TTT fish rehomer :)

im just a clown loach addict!!!

chaoz

Postby Drunken » Thu Aug 23, 2007 2:51 am

lol...I wish.

I was lucky as it is....I measured the space for the tank, went out and bought it, got it home and realised my measurements were 6" out, so instead of 4" either side, I have about 1".
Drunken

Postby David » Thu Aug 23, 2007 4:12 pm

Nice photos. I've got to admit i don't usually like the columns but that looks nice. :)
David

Return to Beginners