do i need to do a water change?

New to fishkeeping? This is the place to find out whatever you need to know!

do i need to do a water change?

Postby qwerty » Wed Aug 29, 2007 9:06 pm

i set up my tank with the advice from my lfs (cycling with fish and has been going 2 weeks),however my ammonia level is at 0, nitrate is inbetween 0 and 0.5 , nitrite 0.25, ph 7.6, hph 8.2 (which is my tap waters natural ph). my tank is 3 ft by 1 ft, has 2 male guppies and 4 female and 3 babies in breeding net. do i need to do a water change if so how much.

(i have set up my other tank doing a fishless cycle using cooked prawns)
qwerty

Postby Apistogramma » Wed Aug 29, 2007 9:10 pm

Hiya,
To get you nitrIte level down (it's pretty lethal to fish) I'd start today and do 20% changes every other day and keep a close eye on your water quality until it drops. It'll take a bit longer for the cycle to finish but your fish will have a better chance of coming through unscathed.
Hope that helps!
Becky

*Aimlessly drives around in the steam roller with Karena's now fairly blunt scissors...and Lisa's hedge trimmer*

Apistogramma

Postby Aiyana's Dad » Wed Aug 29, 2007 9:30 pm

It's surprising how many of us have been advised by our lfs's to do this (I was too!)
I to am doing water changes as mentioned above
Aiyana's Dad

Postby Apistogramma » Wed Aug 29, 2007 9:47 pm

Unfortunately some fish shop staff genuinely don't know what they're talking about. Others are more interested in taking money now than in a few weeks time. Additionally any fish that don't survive the cycle are generally replaced by the same store a few weeks later for more money. The animal business can be pretty harsh sometimes.
Becky

*Aimlessly drives around in the steam roller with Karena's now fairly blunt scissors...and Lisa's hedge trimmer*

Apistogramma

Postby qwerty » Wed Aug 29, 2007 10:10 pm

yes i agree, i now know this was not the best way to do it. he told me to come back in two weeks to get some cat fish, i think i will leave it til the tank has cycled.
qwerty

Postby Aiyana's Dad » Wed Aug 29, 2007 10:16 pm

wise choice my friend, i'm not putting anymore in til mine has finished cycling
Aiyana's Dad

Return to Beginners