They won't stop eating!

New to fishkeeping? This is the place to find out whatever you need to know!

They won't stop eating!

Postby wagtail685 » Thu Aug 30, 2007 9:06 pm

I've got a nice little group (6) of Tiger Barbs, some tetras and couple of corys. Tank is doing well, plants ok, (a few losses) and levels have been spot on now for a while. Tank is now about 4 months old and I've only just included the corys as my final fish. They are all healthy and doing very well, but they just won't stop eating!
The barbs are constantly shoaling up by the top hatch waiting for nosh, the tetras usually sit just below them and the corys...well the just go off and do their own thing.
When I feed them, the food's gone in about 30 seconds, I put a tad more in and that's gone just as quick. Most of it is devoured by the barbs so while they are surface feeding I usually lob in a sinking pellet for the corys. But the barbs finish their food and then come down and attack the pellet like bloody pirhanas!
They get what I feel is a really good mix of dry flake, live food and either freeze dried or frozen tubifex or bloodworm.
Should I just keep feeding them until they are no longer interested or should I still keep their feed at the current rate of twice a day?
It was like that when I found it!
wagtail685

Postby markee » Thu Aug 30, 2007 9:31 pm

I would stay feeding at your current rate, if you stood there & fed your fish all day they would eat it all day, until they died anyway! The best way to feed different level fish (top/mid/bottom) is feed the same amount but spread it across the water instead of one place, that way the food goes in different directions & sinks at different rates, plus your making your fish work for their food. For your Cory's you could try dropping the pellets at different ends of the tank or if it doesn't work put them in after you turn the lights off
markee

Postby Carylnz » Fri Aug 31, 2007 5:51 am

Fish lie. This is important for you to remember. Just because they act like they haven't been fed in a week - DO NOT BELIEVE THEM!!
Fish are opportunistic eaters. As they never know where their next food is coming from they are always ready to grab as much as they can whenever they can. Normal behaviour.
Carylnz

Return to Beginners