fishless cycle

New to fishkeeping? This is the place to find out whatever you need to know!

fishless cycle

Postby qwerty » Sat Sep 01, 2007 8:30 pm

i am doing a fishless cycle on my 2nd tank, the prawns are rotting nicely (although i am changing the prawns today as the smell is unbearable!) they have been in the tank 4 days, i just wanted to check everything was going normal.

ammonia 4.0
nitrate 20
nitrite 1.0
qwerty

Postby Apistogramma » Sat Sep 01, 2007 9:09 pm

Looks like something is happening!
You can use squeezings from your other filter to help it along...(assuming you have one in the first tank?)
Becky

*Aimlessly drives around in the steam roller with Karena's now fairly blunt scissors...and Lisa's hedge trimmer*

Apistogramma

Postby qwerty » Thu Sep 06, 2007 1:41 am

other tank is only 3 weeks cycled, new readings are

ammonia 0
nitrate 40
nitrite between 2.0 / 5.0

i assume all the above is good? and i should wait til nitrate and nitrite fall to 0 ? is that right
qwerty

Postby chaoz » Thu Sep 06, 2007 10:39 am

yes your nitrate should be at 0 same as ammonia,just takes a while for your nitrate consuming bacteria to build up.
are you doin any wter changes? as this will reduce your nitrate levels
Unofficial TTT fish rehomer :)

im just a clown loach addict!!!

chaoz

Postby qwerty » Sun Sep 09, 2007 2:41 am

i havnt done any water changes yet as i dont want to mess up the fishless cycle? or should i?
new readings are;-

ammonia 0
nitrite 0.25
nitrate 5.0

prawns have amost dissolved now, should i add more?
qwerty

Postby skooby » Sun Sep 09, 2007 8:49 am

hi there, yes I would definatly add more prawns as you need to keep up the ammonia source to keep alive the bacteria that are consuming the ammonia, also I think the only time you need to do water changes in a fishless cycle is if the ammonia or nitrite is over 4.0ppm as this i an told will slow dow the process because these levels start to become toxic even for the bacteria. The other reason for a water change is when ammonia and nitrite have dropped back to zero and the tank is ready for fish, this is usually quite a large water change and the reason for this is to bring the nitrate level back down to a sensible level. hope this helps :)
Stuart

Vision 260
75l Coldwater
skooby

Postby qwerty » Tue Sep 11, 2007 12:48 am

thankyou info is v helpful to me, right!!! added 3 more prawns yesterday (my house gets really hot in the evenings, without my heating being on!! which is great for my tank!) done another test today and;-

ammonia 0.50
nitrate 10
nitrite 2.0

which is good news (i hope).

another question :lol: i am cycling in a 3ft by 1 ft tank however once the ammonia/nitrite has dropped to zero i want to transfer the water to a 185 litre tank, my question is can i just put all the water in the new tank and fill up with treated water, would that work?
qwerty

Postby chaoz » Tue Sep 11, 2007 1:42 am

unfortunatly no.
bacteria forms on your rock/substarte/plants and in your filter,the water simply matures.
if your transfering everything over then it will take a while longer for your bacteria to grow enough to cope with the extra area.
Unofficial TTT fish rehomer :)

im just a clown loach addict!!!

chaoz

Postby qwerty » Wed Sep 12, 2007 10:43 pm

i have moved all the water/substarte/filter/air pump/rotting prawns into my larger tank, added some snails (have loads of them!).

ammonia 0
nitrate 40
nitrite 2.0
qwerty

Return to Beginners