aggressive female molly

New to fishkeeping? This is the place to find out whatever you need to know!

aggressive female molly

Postby christine » Sun Sep 02, 2007 10:50 am

Hi,
I am probably being very naive but I am concerned about the behaviour of my daughters female dalmation molly. We have a pair of dalmation mollies and a pair of sunset platys in a 53l tank purcahsed 1 week ago. We set the tank up over the previous week and on the evening we purchased the fish we found 6 fry (mollies,2 of which were dead). During this week 2 more have disappeared. The remaining 2 seem very happy. However, the female molly has started behaving aggressively towards the malemolly and e is becoming withdrawn and hiding in the weed (can't blame him really). Should we remove the female to the breeding net we have just purchased? Or will this behaviour stop naturally?
christine

Postby Wolfgirl » Sun Sep 02, 2007 3:36 pm

Welcome. :)

Firstly, livebearers eat their own young, so that's likely where your missing fry have gone. :) Part of the problem is that your tank is cycling, which causes stress to your fish. Here is some info about that:
Nitrogen Cycle

I'm not an expert on livebearer behaviour by any means. I would suggest trying to rearrange the decor, if possible, to help ease the aggression issue. If that does not work, I would rehome the female. You are going to have a ton of fry as it is. :)

I would not recommend using the breeding trap/net, as they tend to stress out the females.
Don't let your mind wander. It's too small to be let out on its own.
~John Wagner
Wolfgirl
Site Admin

Return to Beginners