HELP!?!

New to fishkeeping? This is the place to find out whatever you need to know!

HELP!?!

Postby Snarfyrn » Sun Sep 02, 2007 9:49 pm

Ok- I need some help! I've been getting lots of great advice from you guys so far---but it's been a couple weeks due to computer issues and I'm not sure what to do next.

First off my water testing results today are:
NitrAte 20
Ammonia 0.5
NitrIte 3.0 (yikes!)
PH 8.0

I don't know what to do next?

To make matters worse - someone dropped off 6 fish to me and a couple of snails. (the fish are little 3 week old platy and mollies -3 of each) So, now they are swimming around in there.

The water seems very clear, I still have an oily film on the top that I have to use a paper towel every other day or so and absorb it. There are some white bacteria looking stuff on the top of the water also.

The worst of all is today I noticed my red eye tetra has what looks like a red "cold sore" on it's upper lip. it was not there yesterday.

I'm wondering if I should give all my fish away at this point I feel like I'm failing as a fish keeper. :(

please advise asap!
A clueless newbie trying not to kill her fish!
10 Gallons
1 Red Eye Tetra, 2 Black Widow Tetras, 3 Platty's (babies), 4 Mollies (babies), 3 baby snails
Snarfyrn

Postby Snarfyrn » Sun Sep 02, 2007 9:51 pm

oh yes, and I've been doing ~15% water changes about every 10 days.
10 Gallons
1 Red Eye Tetra, 2 Black Widow Tetras, 3 Platty's (babies), 4 Mollies (babies), 3 baby snails
Snarfyrn

Postby Fishermoon » Mon Sep 03, 2007 3:16 am

What size tank do you have? How many fish total do you have? your high readings may be related to overstocking.
You learn something new everyday
Fishermoon

Postby Angel Fish » Mon Sep 03, 2007 3:22 am

With Ammonia and NitrIte as high as that, I'd up the water changes to 15% every other day.
What is your full stock list? (sorry, it's too early in the morning to go hunting through all the old posts :oops: )

You may find that your new fish are too young to cope with such high readings, plus they will be adding waste so you may see the Ammonia rise.

Does your filter make a ripple across the whole of the tank? It's unusual to keep getting an oily film - it's quite often caused by residue of soap/hand cream.
What are you feeding the fish? Sometimes, certain foods can leave a residue.
All the advice I give is based on my own personal 30 years of experience.
Main TT Page
Diabetes Forum
Angel Fish

Postby Snarfyrn » Mon Sep 03, 2007 3:54 am

Ok- I'll do 15% every other day....I did 10-15% today.

up until today I only had 1 red eye tetra -and 2 black widow tetras. As of this evening I have the above mentioned tetras, and 7 - three week old platys/mollie combination and 3 small teeny tiny snails.

Well - my filter was not making a ripple across the whole tank, I did take out some water so that it makes a bigger ripple and I'm hoping that helps.
I'm feeding the fish tetra flakes very sparingly and freeze dried blood worms 1-2 times a week.

I do not plan to get anymore fish. Total 10 gallons and I have 10 fish....7 of them being babies, so is it overstocked?

After the 15% water change the reading didn't change much - I can take a sample to the lfs on tuesday when they open again they are probably more accurate than the test trips I have.

Any idea about the red sore on the red eye tetras mouth? It looks yucky.
I feel like giving up on this fish keeping thing -I don't want them to be stressed or sad. :oops:
10 Gallons
Snarfyrn

Postby Joyc » Sun Sep 16, 2007 3:09 am

Welcome, and please don't give up yet; you just got started.

You are receiving advice from very experienced people.

Where did the snails come from?

Respectfully,

Joyc
(In Tucson, of all places!)
Joyc

Return to Beginners