Pink spot on Pearl Gourami

Get help on those urgent fishkeeping problems!

Pink spot on Pearl Gourami

Postby Manty2 » Sun Feb 05, 2017 10:44 pm

Hi my femalePearl Gourami has a pink spot that developed in the gill area. Fish looks healthy apart from this. Any ideas what it might be?
Manty2

Re: Pink spot on Pearl Gourami

Postby Carylnz » Mon Feb 06, 2017 2:10 am

Could be a number of things. Damage from another fish or knocking against something sharp. Burnt gill from poor water conditions. Start of some sort of infection.
My home forum is The NZ Fishroom http://www.fnzas.org.nz
Carylnz

Postby Manty2 » Mon Feb 06, 2017 7:28 pm

Thanks, will keep an eye on it :-)
Manty2

Postby Carylnz » Tue Feb 07, 2017 3:26 am

I am a fan of no medication unless you know precisely what the problem is and the medication used is the correct one.
Excellent water quality is often all that is needed for the fish to fight the problem itself.
Test all is well with the water quality. This doesn't mean that all may not have been well with it a few days ago, resulting in the pink spot if ammonia got a bit high and burnt the gill. Usually it would be a general reddening though, not a specific small spot.
Look closely for gill flukes, worms, in the gills.
One small spot I would first assume to be damage from hitting something, or another fish maybe ramming it. If this is the case you will need to keep an eye out for secondary fungal infections. These too I find usually clear themselves with good water quality and the fungus often later falls off revealing a clean and healed wound underneath.
My home forum is The NZ Fishroom http://www.fnzas.org.nz
Carylnz

Return to Help!