unhappy gourami's, I don't know what to do!

Get help on those urgent fishkeeping problems!

unhappy gourami's, I don't know what to do!

Postby Rupert07 » Mon Jun 18, 2007 10:52 am

I added two honey Gourami's to my tank last Thursday. They seemed to settle in and be happy in the tank, alonng with my 14 neon tetras. However, today they are acting strange. They will sit at the bottom of the tank and then jump to the top. You can hear them on the lid of the tank. They seem to be gaspinga lot, and generally don't seem happy.

The tank is 90 litre, 80 x 35 x 45cm. I did a partial water change last night.

Ammonia 0ppm
Nitrite 0ppm
Nitrate 10ppm

Any advice would be appreciated as I really like these fish!

Thank you in advance :)
Rupert07

Postby Wolfgirl » Mon Jun 18, 2007 11:11 am

The only other fish in the tank are the tetras, right?

Have you checked to make sure that your filter is working properly, and that your temperature is not too high?

Gouramis are anabantids, so they can breathe are from the surface. But if they are constantly up there, and look like they are gasping, it could be that your water is not oxygenated enough. Usually that's caused by poor filtration, I think.

How are your tetras?
Just a few other questions we may need answers to:

1. How long has your tank been up and running?
2. How often do you do water changes, and how much do you change?
3. When you do water changes, do you use a dechlorinator?
4. What is the temperature in your tank?
Don't let your mind wander. It's too small to be let out on its own.
~John Wagner
Wolfgirl
Site Admin

Postby Rupert07 » Mon Jun 18, 2007 11:45 am

Yes, the tetras are the only other fish and they havn't bothered each other at all. The tetra's seem to be fine, and arn't showing any odd behaviour. My tank has had fish in it since the end of April. I have been doing around 25% water change every week and half. I have been putting in a dechlorinator each time. The temperature is at 25c/ 77 F. How will I know if there is a problem with the filter? It seems to be fine.

The gourami's are not at the surface but seem to be sitting still (either on the bottom or on a plant) and will then jump quickly to the top and drop back down. It's not nice to watch them do it! They are acting very erratically. They are really starting to worry me, :(
Rupert07

Return to Help!