snails

Get help on those urgent fishkeeping problems!

snails

Postby Lynton » Tue Jun 19, 2007 3:39 pm

On top of dodgy water levels - i have a plague of snails.......

Interesting as they may be, i have no desire to have an aquarium full of snails.

Have picked quite a few out - whats the best way to get rid of the little buggers?

Cheers
Lynton

Postby krekra » Tue Jun 19, 2007 3:53 pm

Snails are often a side effect of over feeding. The snails will feed on the remanents of left over food and then have a little snail explosion. So If you hold off on feeding your tank for a while it will help.

You can also trap them. I use those little containers made for camera film. I poke a bunch of holes in it and put some lettus in it and a long string to suspend it for easier removal. In the mornings I pull it out and its full of snails eating the greens and I just feed them to my puffer or dup them out and refresh the greens. I do this to get food for my DP other wise I wouldnt bother as I have other fish in that tank that eats them as well.

You can do this trap method on a larger scale with a jar too. Just keep trapping and removing and hold way back on the feeding until it is all under control.
Karena

Just because you can doesnt always mean you should!
krekra

Postby sunny23uk » Wed Jun 20, 2007 3:58 am

What type of snails are they - I'm plagued with the Malaysian Trumpet snails, which are conical shaped.

My problem is that they eat the bogwood and plant matter in the tank, so even though I feed sparingly, the snails still thrive. :?

We often catch a few and feed them to the puffers :twisted:
sunny23uk
Site Admin

Postby Tigerhair » Thu Jun 21, 2007 9:10 am

I've had these, but they disappeared when I starved them to death :twisted: and then got some clown loaches, which love 'em, I am told. There's an article on the main site about snails too http://www.thetropicaltank.co.uk/snails.htm
I will be more enthusiastic about encouraging thinking outside the box, when there's any evidence of thinking going on inside it! Terry Pratchett
Tigerhair

Postby digger » Thu Jun 21, 2007 2:05 pm

goldfish just love to munch snails since i put a goldfish in each of my tanks i have no more snails . have a good day digger
digger

Postby Superman » Thu Jun 21, 2007 2:29 pm

are snails good or bad then :?
12"x10"x8" Optiwhite Journal Link

Juwel Vision 180 Journal Link
Superman

Postby Angel Fish » Thu Jun 21, 2007 2:34 pm

They are good, if kept in check. They stir up the substrate and stop it getting nasty, stale air pockets. They clean up after the fish by eating any left over food. Some also munch on unwanted algae.
I usually try to keep a few in my tanks, if the population increases I just cut out a couple of feeds.
All the advice I give is based on my own personal 30 years of experience.
Main TT Page
Diabetes Forum
Angel Fish

Return to Help!