Fluffy stuff and funny hairy stuff?

Get help on those urgent fishkeeping problems!

Fluffy stuff and funny hairy stuff?

Postby Carno » Wed Jun 20, 2007 2:06 am

Hi there,

I have a 60L tank with a bio filter from Tetra and a Fluvial 400 mechanical filter but I keep getting a thick build up of grey fluff on the gravel and covering all the leaves and rocks etc - it looks like thick fluffy dust like you might get under your bed if yoiu dont hoover! What is it and how can I stop it reoccurring?

Also my plants seem to have black cotton like strands growing all over the leaves - it looks like hair - im guessing its some kind of algae?

I fill change the water with tap and have done for several months without using the 'make safe' stuff - I didnt think this was causing the problem - but am I wrong? I realise there are several questions here - the first one is the most pressing though.

Thanks Jc
Carno

Postby sunny23uk » Wed Jun 20, 2007 4:03 am

Hi JC and welcome :)

The hairy stuff on the plants sounds like hair algae which can get out of control but I'm finding that a combination of shrimps and zebra snails have kept it under control in my tank.

http://www.thetropicaltank.co.uk/algae.htm

The other stuff sounds like some sort of fungal growth from wastes in the gravel - how often do you do water changes and how water much do you change?
Do you siphon the gravel at all?
How often do you feed and what type of food?

Additional useful info for us would be type/number of fish?

Cheers :)
sunny23uk
Site Admin

Postby Carno » Wed Jun 20, 2007 4:24 am

Thanks for the quick response.

I use a gravel hose to get rid of it and do this fortnightly, sometimes a little more - usually taking out about 10% of the water in the process - so this is also my water change. Though I do a good clear out every couple of months when I change a good third of the water and clean off any algae from behind rocks and rearrange plants a bit etc. The tank is 7 months old.

The water clarity is good with the two pumps.

I have 2 loaches, 2 barbs, 5 neons, 2 Rams and a male and female fighter and 4 guppies. I think this might be at the tanks limit - that's why i got the 2nd pump.

I use Terta flakes and loach pellets two smallish feeds a day 6 days a week.

I had two large golden snails - one lasted a month and the other 3 months. I have two shrimps but they spend all there time in the filter and dont venture out at all!
Carno

Postby sunny23uk » Thu Jun 21, 2007 5:31 am

HI JC, sorry I didn't get to respond yesterday - busy at work and finally went to see Pirates at the cinema last night!

In the first instance, I would cut back the feeding to just once a day, 5/6 days per week, this way you can ensure there's no excess food and it might even encourage some of the fish to eat the hair algae - barbs have been known to tuck into it at times.

I would also either increase your water changes to once a week at 10% or fortnightly to 20-25%, which should help to remove any additional debris from the gravel.

I'm sorry your snails didn't seem to last long, I've had my zebra snails for at least 2 years now, though I did lose one last week and I've had the amano shrimps a similar amount of time - which is the longest I've been able to keep them. It might be worth adding some more shrimps to encourage them to come out more, but the rams and the fighter might be giving them a hard time - causing them to hide.

Hope this helps a bit, and let us know how things progress. :)
sunny23uk
Site Admin

Return to Help!