treating white spot

Get help on those urgent fishkeeping problems!

treating white spot

Postby Rupert07 » Wed Jun 20, 2007 2:02 pm

Hey,

I wrote a couple of days ago how my gouramis had been behaving oddly. Since then I noticed white spots in the fins of my gouramis and on the tetras (I feel a bit bad about not noticing this earlier) After reading up I have treated it as white spot.

The instructions said to half the dose for light scaled fish. As I also have tetras I therefore did half a dose, but ut will this be enough to treat the gouramis? (They seem to have it worse) I have turned up the temperature int he tank and it is now climbing to 81f/27c. Is there anything else I can do? how long will it take to start clearing up?

Thank you in advance, sorry for so many questions! :)
Rupert07

Postby Necrosis » Wed Jun 20, 2007 2:55 pm

Hi and welcome.

I had a bad experience recently with white spot and loaches.... Do you mind me asking what it is you are treating them with?

Nec
Rio 125
Necrosis

Postby Necrosis » Wed Jun 20, 2007 2:57 pm

Have you also removed any carbon/zeolite filters media?
Rio 125
Necrosis

Postby Rupert07 » Wed Jun 20, 2007 3:13 pm

Hi,

Yes, I removed the carbon filter, why do you have to do this by the way? I think the make I have uses malachite green...

Liz :)
Rupert07

Postby Necrosis » Wed Jun 20, 2007 3:30 pm

The carbon filters out chemicals in the water and will therefore remove any treatments that you add to your tank. The best treatment that I have found to date is a product called Protozin. With regards to the half dose treatments for lightly scaled fish, I was given the advice with my loaches to use half the dose but twice daily at regular intervals if possible ie 12 hours apart. This way the skin of the fish isnt getting a full hit all at once but over the period of 24 hours you are giving a full dose. It did seem to do the trick with my particular set up but it is something only you can decide to do as I am unaware of your particular tank. Maybe another forum member has thoughts on this method? Increasing the temp as you have done will speed up the life cycle of the white spot which is a good thing as the treatments can only kill the white spot while it is free floating in the water and not on the fish so dont expect to see spot free fish overnight, it will take time.
I found this link particlarly helpful in understanding the cycle of white spot.
Nec
Rio 125
Necrosis

Postby Rupert07 » Wed Jun 20, 2007 3:40 pm

Thanks for that :)

I think that maybe I'll put in another half dose tomorrow, I want to get as much treatment to the gouramis as possible but at the same time don't want to harm the tetras. :? Any thoughts gratefully recieved!

This is my first experience of fish illness, I'm desperate for it to go away, everything the fish do worries me at the moment! :oops:

Liz
Rupert07

Postby Necrosis » Wed Jun 20, 2007 4:10 pm

It can be heartwrenching when you get your fisrt illness...you just cant take your tank the the vets and say "fix this" like you can with other pets...

Keep a close eye on things and anything you are unsure about, ask on here.... thats what I do....
Nec
Rio 125
Necrosis

Postby Necrosis » Wed Jun 20, 2007 4:11 pm

The only stupid question is the one you dont ask...
Rio 125
Necrosis

Postby Rupert07 » Fri Jun 22, 2007 6:05 am

Hey,

I treated my tank with half the reccomended dose again yesterday, and intend to do the same later, (as it will then have been 48 hours since the first dose).

All of the fish have some spots on them, but there is one neon tetra who is absaloutley covered- far worse then any of the others. Is this usual? Should I be worried? I expeted them to all be similarly affected.

Thanks is advance,

Liz :)
Rupert07

Postby Angel Fish » Fri Jun 22, 2007 6:32 am

It's not unusual for one fish to have more spots than another. Your Neon may just be weaker than the other fish.

A bit like humans really, women get colds, men get man-flu :roll:
All the advice I give is based on my own personal 30 years of experience.
Main TT Page
Diabetes Forum
Angel Fish

Postby krekra » Fri Jun 22, 2007 8:12 am

Just out of curiosity.......what different species have you got and how many of each. You might be able to use the full dose.
Karena

Just because you can doesnt always mean you should!
krekra

Postby Rupert07 » Fri Jun 22, 2007 9:56 am

LOL- I think this fish must be male then!

All I have in the tank is 14 neon tetra and two Honey Gourami's. What does any one think on whether to do half or full dose? It is about 100 litre tank.

Thanks, Liz :)
Rupert07

Postby Angel Fish » Fri Jun 22, 2007 10:03 am

Do you know the name of the Meds you're using? It could help us to let you know if it's safe for using at full strength :)
All the advice I give is based on my own personal 30 years of experience.
Main TT Page
Diabetes Forum
Angel Fish

Postby krekra » Fri Jun 22, 2007 10:05 am

I think that the small tetras are notorious for going belly up during ich treatment but I am not sure if it is the treatment or their susptability to ich. I would be inclined to go full strength to try and get rid of it with as few losses as possable but wait and see what others have to say about it today and go from there.

K
Karena

Just because you can doesnt always mean you should!
krekra

Postby Rupert07 » Fri Jun 22, 2007 10:06 am

It's made by King British and the ingredients are Malachite Green, acriflavine, quinine sulphate.

Rupert07

Next

Return to Help!