Many thanks for your advice

Get help on those urgent fishkeeping problems!

Many thanks for your advice

Postby Lynton » Wed Jun 20, 2007 3:36 pm

Angelfish, Wolfgirl and Krekra,

Many thanks for all your help over the last few days........

Much appreciated, and also with the help of the LFS I think things may be on track...........

Tonight has been............ wet!!

Essentially, water levels got stuffed - big time after going on holiday for a week and entrusting the tank to someone else - my definition of a "pinch" of food seems to be different to his......... however....

Despite 3 water changes over the last 4 days, levels not coming down, spoke to LFS, and with their recommendation and a couple of fish bags took drastic action....

OK - I confess now, my tank is a 60L Biorb - yes I now realise not a popular choice with fishkeepers here, however a 60L cycled should be ok for 3m guppies, 5 neons and 5 glowlights..... I was young (not), naive, and new...

This is what I did tonight

syphoned 45 of the 60 L out into buckets (buckets everywhere)
eventually - caught the three Guppies and 4 remaining neons (took forever - is there an easy way????) - (unfortunately the huge changes in water quality meant many tetra's died) - into a fishbag in one bucket

Completely emptied the tank, cleaned substrate using tank water, hosed inside of tank - removing snails and replaced substate, filter, put plants back, put in 2/3 old water, then reintroduced fish and added 1/3 new water.

So far tonight....

Ammonia from 8+ to 1.5,
Nitrite from about 1.5 to 0.25
Nitrate from about 20 to 15.

Not perfect but a huge step in the right direction

as i sit here now, 3 guppies doing laps (anticlockwise!!) and tetras in a close shoal - all seem happy.

Lynton
Lynton

Postby Angel Fish » Thu Jun 21, 2007 12:03 am

We're here to help and it's great when things bet back on track :D

As you've probably realised, Bio-Orbs are pretty difficult to maintain and having such a small surface area means that you are fully stocked with the fish that you have left.

I recommend that you change 15% at least twice a week from now on - hopefully this will help to keep your parameters stable.

I can't believe that I didn't ask you for the dimensions of the tank right at the start ...........*AF kicks self up butt and hides in corner :? *
All the advice I give is based on my own personal 30 years of experience.
Main TT Page
Diabetes Forum
Angel Fish

Postby Wolfgirl » Thu Jun 21, 2007 1:31 am

Hopefully things will work out from now on. :) Now you can think about getting a bigger tank, which is what almost always happens to fishkeepers. :D
Don't let your mind wander. It's too small to be let out on its own.
~John Wagner
Wolfgirl
Site Admin

Postby Tigerhair » Fri Jun 22, 2007 4:01 pm

Hi - poor you, I've just been reading about your problems in the other post. I'd just like to add something. When I go on holiday, I rarely get people in to feed my fish. As long as they are healthy and happy and fully grown (i.e. not babies), then they cope very well with me being away for a week. I don't know how others feel about this, but I have done this for about 10 years with no problems. Hope that helps. :)
I will be more enthusiastic about encouraging thinking outside the box, when there's any evidence of thinking going on inside it! Terry Pratchett
Tigerhair

Postby Angel Fish » Sat Jun 23, 2007 1:25 am

I am happiy to leave mine for up to 2 weeks providing they have had a water change and a feed before I leave :D
All the advice I give is based on my own personal 30 years of experience.
Main TT Page
Diabetes Forum
Angel Fish

Postby Wolfgirl » Sat Jun 23, 2007 1:31 am

Same here.

The one time that we knew we were going to be gone for a long time (i.e., a month), I actually put food in ziplock bags and labelled them with the days they were to be fed, for the people who were going to be doing the feeding.
Don't let your mind wander. It's too small to be let out on its own.
~John Wagner
Wolfgirl
Site Admin

Postby Apistogramma » Sat Jun 23, 2007 6:08 am

Wolfgirl wrote:Same here.

The one time that we knew we were going to be gone for a long time (i.e., a month), I actually put food in ziplock bags and labelled them with the days they were to be fed, for the people who were going to be doing the feeding.

That's a great idea - I used film canisters with sticky labels on for mine while I was abroad.
Becky

*Aimlessly drives around in the steam roller with Karena's now fairly blunt scissors...and Lisa's hedge trimmer*

Apistogramma

Postby krekra » Sat Jun 23, 2007 6:53 am

Oh and I hide the rest of the food so they cant find it :lol:
Karena

Just because you can doesnt always mean you should!
krekra

Postby Carylnz » Sat Jun 23, 2007 6:28 pm

I put mine into one of those plastic divided containers for pills.
Carylnz

Postby Lynton » Sun Jun 24, 2007 3:44 am

Carylnz - i DID think about doing that, and then I thought well surely its obvious what a "pinch" of food is.

Rule 1 - Assume nothing.

Water levels are now perfect - fish look very happy
Lynton

Postby Tigerhair » Sun Jun 24, 2007 4:46 am

Glad to hear it Lynton. And you are right about that rule! :)
I will be more enthusiastic about encouraging thinking outside the box, when there's any evidence of thinking going on inside it! Terry Pratchett
Tigerhair

Postby Apistogramma » Sun Jun 24, 2007 8:32 am

Glad you got it sorted Lynton - hope your fishies next holiday is more enjoyable!
Becky

*Aimlessly drives around in the steam roller with Karena's now fairly blunt scissors...and Lisa's hedge trimmer*

Apistogramma

Return to Help!