Fish attacks with odd behavior and snails

Get help on those urgent fishkeeping problems!

Fish attacks with odd behavior and snails

Postby bigcountry63 » Wed Jun 20, 2007 7:44 pm

I have a 55Gallon tank with 3 Gouramis (3 spot) 2 Balloon Bellied Mollies, 2 Pictus Cats, 1 Silver tipped shark, 1 Algae eater, 2 Tetras and a couple hundred snails.

Today I found the tail fin on my female molly chewed off, 1 gourami dorsal fin chewed on and red and another gourami side fin raw at the base and the fin tore up the third gourami is totally full of color and has been for the past week.

Are the snails causing problems or could it be something else, and there has been no damage to any fish before now? All seem to be acting normally for us.

Also weekly test water and all levels are in safe zones.

Can water temp changes in a range of 5 degrees up and down at a max cause issues daily?

Any help will be appreciated.
bigcountry63

Postby krekra » Wed Jun 20, 2007 8:26 pm

Hi and welcome to the forum. Sounds like you are having a bit of an upset in your tank. Lets start with some simple questions

How long has this tank been set up?

How long have the current occupants been in the tank together?

When you say all water parameters are in the safe zone what does that mean. If possable can you list the parameters for ammonia, nitrites, nitrates, and pH??

Snails shouldnt be able to do that kind of damage. Do the fins look nipped or do they look freyed and infected??

I am curious as to wht type of algea eater you have??? Is it one of these ??

http://www.thetropicaltank.co.uk/Fishindx/algeater.htm

And can you also specify what type of tetras......there are many species of tetra ranging from the little neon to the piranha :shock:

that should do it for now...oh and any pics you can supply of the injured fins and the fish in general would really help.

Karena
Karena

Just because you can doesnt always mean you should!
krekra

Postby Wolfgirl » Thu Jun 21, 2007 1:29 am

It's possible the culprits are the pictus catfish. They are predatory fish. You may not have had problems before because they may not have been large enough to cause problems.

Just a thought. :)
Don't let your mind wander. It's too small to be let out on its own.
~John Wagner
Wolfgirl
Site Admin

Return to Help!