smelly tank water

Get help on those urgent fishkeeping problems!

smelly tank water

Postby laptoplil69 » Sun Apr 24, 2011 9:35 am

Hi, I am new to keeping tropical fish and have taken the advice of a reputable dealer, my tank is 2ft x 1 1/2ft It has been running for a month and I have slowly (with advice) been adding different types of fish, 4 male Guppies to start + a tiny baby one (free), then some Neon Tetras which all died within a week, I replaced these with 9 Zebra Danios, 6 Rummy nosed ????? and a few Phantom Tetras, the Rummy Nosed ???? all died within a week so I took a sample of the water to the shop and they did a Ph test which wasn't good I can't remember the readings but took their advice on solving the problem and bought some Evolution Aqua "Pure Aquarium" balls which are supposed to maintain a clear and healthy auarium, I also washed out the filter from the kitchen tap,unfortunately since then the water in the tank has gradually started to smell like cats wee and is now so bad my house reeks of it but the fish all seem to be ok allthough two of the Guppies died but the tiny baby on is ok and the rest of the fish seem perfectly happy! please can someone help because I have grown very fond of the baby Guppy his name is "Top banana" Kind regards :cry:
Anne Heslop

Postby magicmayhem » Sun Apr 24, 2011 12:20 pm

You have WAAAAY too many fish in your tank!! Like twice as many as you should!!!!
400 litres of lovely ammonium free water, a breeding pair of Oscars and some mental Lemon Barbs.

Postby alihar » Sun Apr 24, 2011 12:35 pm

Firstly you never wash your filter in tap water, it kills off the beneficial bacteria present that is needed to keep your tank healthy.
If you need to rinse filter media always do so in tank water.
Test your water for ammonia, nitrite, nitrates and do another ph test.
The results of the test will determine what action needs to be taken.
My job is took cook them, my passion is to keep them.
200 litre 4 guppy 5 dwarf cory 1 oto 1 albino veil tale BNP 8 cardinal tetra 8 galaxy rasbora 2 flame dwarf gourami 3 cherry barbs 2 coral platy

Postby Rob W » Sun Apr 24, 2011 9:59 pm

Adding the aqua balls is a clear sign that the filter hasn't cycled. That and the fact that a water test shows zero nitrates. To be fair, I don't know where I stand on quick fixes, but that aside, the aqua balls are a quick fix that has cost you money both in terms of having to buy them in the first place, and the cost of replacing dead fish from adding too many fish too quickly.

This isn't your fault by the way, the reputable fish shop might be reputable for supplying quality fish and equipment but perhaps not so reputable when it comes to advice?

For a new tank it is overstocked, and it's a burden even for an established setup to be honest, I'd return most of the fish until the end of the cycle. And your filter media should not be rinsed unless it's flow stops, and then, as stated above, rinse it gently in used tank water, never under the tap. :wink:
River Reef 48 x 2
125L Fluval
240L Fluval
Loadsa fish. And shrimps.
Rob W

Return to Help!