what fish will eat snails

Get help on those urgent fishkeeping problems!

what fish will eat snails

Postby jennifer o » Mon Mar 12, 2012 9:22 pm

hello.

having a bit of a snail outbreak at the moment so just wondering if there are any fish that will eat smaller snails and the eggs?

i have platys,guppys,tetras,chinese algae eaters and they dont seem to be interested lol
200l tank - 6 black phantom tetras, 1 golden chinese algae eaters, 2 pleco, 5 harlequin rasboras, 5 platys, 2 silver mollies, 3 panda corys

80l tank - 3 platys, 1 guppy, 4 neon tetras, 2 red honey gouramis

still learning
jennifer o

Re: what fish will eat snails

Postby markee » Mon Mar 12, 2012 10:04 pm

Clown, Yoyo & Zebra Loaches will all eat snails, given your tank size i would go for the Zebra & if you have the room go for a small group. Some Loaches though, as they get older tend to prefer fish food than snails & give up hunting them.

Cutting down on feeding & an overnight snail trap will also help as well.
markee

Postby jennifer o » Mon Mar 12, 2012 10:46 pm

will these fish get on with the tetra clan? plus my algae eater can get annoyed sometimes ( he likes his own patch) theyll be going in the 200l once its ready with the tetras pleco and some platys

oooo snail trap...never heard of this? i dont want to kill them, id rather the fish eat them if peckish lol
200l tank - 6 black phantom tetras, 1 golden chinese algae eaters, 2 pleco, 5 harlequin rasboras, 5 platys, 2 silver mollies, 3 panda corys

still learning
jennifer o

Postby kissofdeath » Mon Mar 12, 2012 11:01 pm

im told that blue botia loaches are the bees knees when it comes to eating snails
kissofdeath

Postby sflichel » Tue Mar 13, 2012 6:06 pm

Add a leaf of lettuce or slice of cucumber weighed down with a fork or something. Remove in morning and prepare some escargo.
sflichel

Postby Gavano » Tue Mar 13, 2012 8:12 pm

Hey
U could go for a assasion snail or 2!
Only down side is once they have eaten all other snails u would have to feed then or get rid of them!
I use clown loach and I'm very fond of mine!
They do grow big and are best keept in a small group!
Also I've heard they are difficult to keep???
I have only 2 and have never had a problem with them!
Ether my conditions and handling of tank is good!
Or clown loach are a bit hardier than I'm led to be leave!
The other option is to take out all ur plants and use plastic plants?
I've never liked plastic plants!
Gavano

Postby jennifer o » Tue Apr 03, 2012 4:03 pm

how big do the c;own loaches get?

i have a 200 l which has 1 chinese algae eater, 6 black phantom tetras, 5 harlequins, 2 plecos, 3 albino corys and 4 male platys..

you reckon theyd be okay with this tank and crew?

still learning
jennifer o

Postby englishmx » Tue Apr 03, 2012 8:35 pm

Cut down on the feeding, it will resolve itself
Mike...
englishmx

Postby Angel Fish » Wed Apr 04, 2012 10:54 am

I wouldn't add Clown Loaches as they grow, albeit quite slowly, very large - and they prefer to live in groups, the more, the better.

Zebra Loaches would be much more suited to your tank size :D
All the advice I give is based on my own personal 30 years of experience.
Main TT Page
Diabetes Forum
Angel Fish

Postby KatoonsGbr » Sun Sep 16, 2012 11:11 am

So i'm seeing a lot of responses that are suggesting zebra loaches, Iv'e got quite a small tank only about 80l (i think i don't really know because i didn't buy it) and it's filled with literally 50 or so balloon bodied molly's because two of the females have just been having babies constantly, (we bought one because she was pregnant, then the other got pregnant just after the first was finished giving birth, and now the first is pregnant again :shock: ) but that aside the snails are all over the place, iv'e got a small sail fin plecko my dad gave me when they moved the tank to my room, but he seems to just ignore them at least when they are big enough to see.

Would this loach be a good idea in a tank this small and with such small inhabitants? especially since the mothers are still birthing and the molly's are burrowers when first born, about the same size as a small snail.

I can't reduce feeding due to the babies, and they need ground flake which i can only imagine makes it easier for the snails :/.

I am giving the ornaments a bit of a resort so when i do i'll be sure not to leave live plants in.

And the snail trap with the letuce and cucumber i cant see working because the plecko's can go though it so fast.

I really don't want to resort to chemical means because i'd have to take all the babies out which i don't like doing and alot of them burrowed when we tried to move the tank so they would most likely get killed in the process. :cry: I love my babies and i know i'll need to do something with them eventually but for now i want them to have the best chance.

So yeah Zebra Loach a good idea or no? (as a side anecdote, the last loach i had was about 7 years ago when i caught a stone loach in a local stream, it died of over eating literally over night just from eating the algae in a 4ft tank with 4 plecko's in).

p.s i'd love to ad an attatchment but the site cant seem to handle the pictures from my camera so i'll just out them on my deviant art
http://appealingcobra1.deviantart.com/a ... 1347790226
KatoonsGbr

Postby IndianoAnnie » Sun Sep 16, 2012 5:38 pm

My tank is similar to yours (mines aquanano Aquaone 40, its a 55l) google it just to help give better idea of L which will help when choosing fish. :)

Andrea
Thanks,
Annie :)

55L planted
Red cherry shrimp
Cycled
Newbie-ish :)
IndianoAnnie

Postby wilfy » Sun Sep 16, 2012 6:04 pm

why not try assasin snails,they are a lot less invasive,and realy do work,i had a prob with ,think ramshorn snail ,poped 4 assins in 3 month ltr gon or hiding out of terror.and the assins dont breed as fast or anywere as mutch as others , :idea: :idea: :idea:
wilfy

Postby J9P » Thu Sep 20, 2012 10:25 am

I have 3 botia loaches which do not grow too big and the purpose that we got them for was to eat our infestation of snails that came in on some plants (the eggs must have come in on the plants). The loaches are really keeping the snails under control, the snails were everywhere before and now theres only the odd one or two and they dont last long before the loaches get them!

My tank is 64 litre, it has 3 swordtails, 3 guppies, 3 loaches and 1 cardinal tetra (we lost 2), 5 more cardinal tetras planned when tank is stable.
J9P

Return to Help!