Bogwood growth

Get help on those urgent fishkeeping problems!

Bogwood growth

Postby fluffypinklaa » Tue May 29, 2012 7:13 pm

I have a furry clear/white substance growing on my bogwood that's been in the tank for a good 8 weeks now - any ideas of what it is http://s824.photobucket.com/albums/zz168/laura_large/Fluval%20Edge/?action=view&current=DSCF5666.jpg (photo)- my armano shrimp is loving it and it looks great swaying in the water flow but got me curious! Its growing directly under the lamps and only on the talll bogwood
><((((º> ✿◕‿◕✿ ❀◕‿◕❀ ❁◕‿◕❁ <º))))><
Tropical Fluval Edge

1 blue betta, cherry danio, 1 amano shrimp, and a venus guppy and the bogwoods finally in

><((((º> ✿◕‿◕✿ ❀◕‿◕❀ ❁◕‿◕❁ <º))))><
fluffypinklaa

Re: Bogwood growth

Postby cousin it » Tue May 29, 2012 8:08 pm

It looks like mould to me, I find removing the wood and pouring some boiling water over the it a few times takes care of it.
Daran

there's always one
cousin it

Postby ady » Mon Jun 04, 2012 11:28 am

totally agree with cuz it...i had the same with a branch......boiling water did the trick,along with a day in direct hot sun in the garden to dry out the mould...
humans are the only race,with the intelligence to save the earth...shame we have the ignorance to ignore the salvation!!!!!
ady

Postby finnyfi » Mon Jul 02, 2012 12:13 am

I have a bit of this appearing, but in a new set-up. The tank isn't cycling properly yet, I'm a bit concerned that this isn't good! I'm going to check the levels tomorrow and change a good bit of the water because I'm worried about ammonia levels (I put two platys in a week ago and we've already multiplied 7 times!), but I'm reluctant to 'treat' the wood because I'll lose the bacteria that I still need to build up? I'm new to fish keeping so any advice is invaluable, cheers!
finnyfi

Postby ady » Thu Jul 19, 2012 12:51 pm

hi finny fi.....

you can treat the wood without worrying about the bacteria.....yes it lives in the tank,on ornanments etc,but the majority of them are tucked up nicely in your filter media...

cleaning the wood wont produce a die back or loss of bacteria.

when i had probs it was also in a newly set up tank.....

as you going fish in cycle,keep up the water changes..i would suggest at least weekly 25 %,that should keep levels down as you cycle...but it depends on tank size..... :)
humans are the only race,with the intelligence to save the earth...shame we have the ignorance to ignore the salvation!!!!!
ady

Return to Help!