Spitting out food

Get help on those urgent fishkeeping problems!

Re: Spitting out food

Postby san-ho-zay » Mon Jul 09, 2012 9:54 pm

It's difficult. If there is a blockage, it's probably behind the the swelling and I suspect that's so far in you wouldn't be able to do anything physically. There is also a risk of doing more harm than good.

My best suggestion is still the epsom salts as a laxative but I don't know what the real problem is any more than you do. It could be a tumour, worms, a blockage or some internal failure.

See what Caryl thinks -- she'll be up and about soon I should think.
Richard
san-ho-zay

Postby Carylnz » Tue Jul 10, 2012 9:51 am

I appreciate your faith in me Richard but I am at a loss!
By all means see if you can see if there is a stone or something causing the blockage and you can use tweezers, then give it a go.
I am more inclined to think it a tumour or similar rather than an object that has been swallowed. I gather it has grown?
Although it doesn't appear to be suffering, once it starts to look thin from lack of food, I would euthanise it.
My home forum is The NZ Fishroom http://www.fnzas.org.nz
Carylnz

Postby amelia97b » Tue Jul 10, 2012 8:36 pm

He is starting to slow down a little; not swimming about as much, and has started to lay down on the ground occasionally. I was mistaken though, there is not white lump where the protruding scales are, it is actually just one of the white scales.

The area above the pectoral fin actually seems to be better; the scales are not so prominent. But, alas, apart from that, there is no change.

Unfortunately I am not in reach of buying any epsom salts, I cannot find them anywhere, plus I believe they would have little effect anyway, as the main problem seems to be in his mouth, or chest. Thanks for the advice though, if it was not for the protruding scales then I would most likely have used these salts.

Any other ideas on how to relieve any pain he may be in, other than euthanasia? If he is still like this is in a couple of days time then I may very well resort to euthanising him, but for now I still have faith in him! Anything that I could do?

Thank you so very much, everything you are saying is much appreciated!
amelia97b

Postby Carylnz » Wed Jul 11, 2012 1:17 am

Are you sure the scales are not just sticking out because they are displaced by the growth? This is different to the more serious dropsy which will affect other scales as well, not just those around the lump.
Clove oil is used to euthanise fish but I don't know what amount would just offer pain relief.
Just re-read your last post... are you saying the sticking out scales are not over the lump but just a scale lifting elsewhere? This might be a scale he rubbed against something and it has dislodged. Another will grow in its place.
Some pics would be real helpful here! :(
My home forum is The NZ Fishroom http://www.fnzas.org.nz
Carylnz

Postby amelia97b » Wed Jul 11, 2012 11:33 am

Unfortunately he passed away last night. He looked in a most peculiar state this morning though; he is nearly black all over usually, with a few white/silver scales, but this morning, he was almost completely white. It actually looked as if the scales had fallen off, as the white area does not look like scales at all, and various black bits were floating around, or were stuck to him.

There does not appear to be a lump, and I am still at loss as to what caused his death.

But thank you everyone, who devoted much time to answering my many questions; it was a great comfort to know that people other than myself were concerned about him!

One last question though; what is the average lifespan of a molly? He was a sailfin molly, who was about 1.5 years old when he died. Is that old, or young, to die?
amelia97b

Postby san-ho-zay » Wed Jul 11, 2012 8:43 pm

Sorry to hear that. :(

Fish often lose their colour if they remain in the tank for several hours after death. It's difficult to read anything into the appearance of a dead fish.

From www.flmnh.ufl.edu:

"The natural lifespan of sailfin mollies, like other small poeciliids, is short, particularly in the case of the males, which may live less than one year after achieving sexual maturity. Depending upon environmental conditions sailfin mollies may become reproductively [mature] in less than a year."

So, according to that a year and a half is short but not excessively so.
Richard
san-ho-zay

Previous

Return to Help!