kribensis problems

Get help on those urgent fishkeeping problems!

kribensis problems

Postby mick2605 » Sun Jul 01, 2012 7:52 pm

Hi all, about a month ago i purchaced a pair of mature kribensis from my lfs, they settled in to my 125ltr community tank really well and set themselves up in a nice cave. Last week we spotted the female with fry and where absolutley delighted, unfortunatley the male then became too agressive with the other fish so i have rehomed the kribs and some of there fry in there own 40 ltr tank. But now they have stopped feeding, the female looks quite week but the fry seem to be fine picking about in the sand. i have tested the water levels and they are fine (amonia 0.25 nitrite 0.25 and nitrate 5.0). I am worried that the forty litre tank is too small for them but i dont have any other option apart from giving them up.
]Your help is much appreciated ,Mike.

Just had some good advice which i cant believe i initially overlooked, i set upar the smaller tank with water from my old aquarium but installed a new filter, i didnt acount for the helpfull bacteria that wouldnt be colonising the new filter medium, i have fitted old filters from my other tank now and will re test tommorow and hope the amonia and nitrite levels have dropped.
mick2605

Re: kribensis problems

Postby ItWentWhereverIdidGo » Mon Jul 02, 2012 8:17 am

I was going to say that 0.25 for ammonia and nitrite isn't fine, they should both be zero.
ItWentWhereverIdidGo

Postby mick2605 » Mon Jul 02, 2012 5:37 pm

Unfortunatley the female has died today while at work, i shouldnt have rushed the transfer of my fish. i have tested both tanks again tonight, the new tank has 0.25 amonia 0 nitrite and 5 nitrate, my larger tank was as it should be, but its ph is much lower (6.6 compared with 7.6 in the new tank). I was wondering if maybe this contributed aswell, i have risked moving the male back to the large tank in a small breeding pen, and he seems to have perked up a bit, i am just really gutted that i messed it up so bad.
mick2605

Postby ady » Tue Jul 03, 2012 4:50 pm

sorry to hear of ya loss..my krib pair are checking out the cave i built em at the mo....

i reckon you right about the change of water parameters doing the fish in....it may have just been the shock of the move.nitemare for ya tho.i lost my big male krib a few months ago,right in the middle of displaying and gettin ready to make ickle kribs.
was gutted to say the least....lets hope ya other krib setle back in ok....

good luck

ady
humans are the only race,with the intelligence to save the earth...shame we have the ignorance to ignore the salvation!!!!!
ady

Postby mick2605 » Tue Jul 03, 2012 7:11 pm

Thx, yeah mistakes where made and lessons defonatley learned, the fry i managed to rescue from the other tank are still picking around the small tank, i hope they survive.
mick2605

Return to Help!