Help with shrimp

Get help on those urgent fishkeeping problems!

Help with shrimp

Postby YamahaR6 » Wed Jul 11, 2012 8:50 pm

Hi new here and im looking for a little advice bear with me this might be like an essay :lol:

A few weeks ago i brought the fluval ebi nano shrimp habitat. I set the tank up added some plants and had it cycling for about 3 weeks, checked the water and all of the levels were normal.

0 nitrate
0 nitrite
0 ammonia
7.5 ph

So i thought id add a few shrimp, i brought 6 crystal red shrimp aclimatised them in bag for about 25 minutes then netted them into the tank. everything was fine for about an hour until i noticed some of them lying on there backs a few hours more passed and they had all died :( i went back to the shop i brought them from and they accused me of not aclimatising them properly and said my water must be bad too....which it obviously isnt. so after a few days i went to a different shop and brought 2 amano shrimp and spent 45 minutes aclimatising them pouring a small amount of tank water into the bag every ten minutes. I netted them into the tank and for about 3 hours they were fine then i noticed them lying on there backs aswell :angry: i did a large water change and removed all of the plants as i wonderd whether i cud have a case of pesticide poisoning. By the morning they seemed to have come round a bit but theyre still quite slow and have changed colour.

Im wondering if anyone has ever had the same problem? i realy am getting frustrated with it as i dont want to buy more shrimp only for them to die again :(
YamahaR6

Re: Help with shrimp

Postby englishmx » Wed Jul 11, 2012 9:03 pm

How did you cycle the tank? 3 weeks is not a long time and you should have some NitrAte showing on a fully cycled tank

I never put shrimp straight into a new aquarium, I get it matured & cycled with fish first then move the fish on after about 8 weeks and populate it with the shrimps. CRS are renowned to be 'more delicate' maybe try Red Cherry's for starters, far more robust & hardy (still can be delicate mind)

If the Amano shrimps picked up after a 'large' water change it could well have been pesticides on the plants, that has recently become a big problem, but I am swinging towards the tank not been fully cycled and not mature enough to provide all the tasty micro organisms/ algea/ etc. the shrimps like to graze on
Last edited by englishmx on Wed Jul 11, 2012 9:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mike...
englishmx

Postby YamahaR6 » Wed Jul 11, 2012 9:14 pm

The tank showed the same readings that my year old fish tank shows i have no nitrates in that and all the fish are healthy so i thought it was cycled enough to introduce some shrimp. also the tank was growing algea on the glass and snails had already started to appear so again i assumed it must be cycled enough to introduce some....you know what they say about assumptions :lol:

What fish would you suggest to put in for a few weeks? ill have to buy a heater as the tank stays around 24 degrees so need it bit warmer for fish. Im worried about putting plants in now as i dont want to poison the amanos

cheers!
YamahaR6

Postby englishmx » Wed Jul 11, 2012 9:55 pm

What is in your other tank? maybe you can move a few a across for a little holiday and join the Ammano's, help mature the tank further then move them back?? You shouldn't need a heater if your tank is a steady 24 for most community type fish, but I would put one in to avoid drops in the winter, shrimps can be very susceptible to temperature fluctuations

If you want plants then crack on, just wash them thoroughly first, and if you want to be doubly sure then leave them soaking in a tub or something for 24hrs changing the water a few times :)
Mike...
englishmx

Postby san-ho-zay » Wed Jul 11, 2012 10:10 pm

I've been through the shrimp holocaust with new plants. Not my idea of a good time. :angry:

The deal with plants is that far-east growers have to treat with pesticides before shipment. Whether you get a toxic bunch of plants is down to whether they rinsed them well before packing and whether the retailer or online store used a holding tank. The safest solution is to get plants from a European grower like Tropica or Aquafleur where they don't need pesticides. Otherwise follow englishmx's advice and maybe run a filter in amongst them with carbon if you can?

Aquaessentials do the Aquafleur plants from £2.99 a pot. So you get rooted plants and, if you buy stems, probably 6-8. Compare that to mail order "cuttings" places (which I have used heavily in the past but never again) and it's good value. They are usually priced in the region of £1.50-3.00 for five cuttings. Tropica plants are the best you'll get and can be found at a budget price of 3 for £11 at Pets at Home. You need to be there on or just after delivery day because they aren't what you would call good gardeners.
Richard
san-ho-zay

Postby englishmx » Wed Jul 11, 2012 10:30 pm

englishmx wrote:not mature enough to provide all the tasty micro organisms/ algea/ etc. the shrimps like to graze on

Ignore that, just re-read your original post and see the CRS had only been in your tank for a few hours :(
Mike...
englishmx

Return to Help!