Feather-fin help needed.

Get help on those urgent fishkeeping problems!

Feather-fin help needed.

Postby Evie85 » Thu Jul 12, 2012 1:35 pm

Hi.
I am a bit of a newbie to fish keeping myself and although have kept livebearers, a common plec and an oscar in the past I have recently started keeping catfish. Yesterday I bought two featherfin synodontis (after being told they were sociable and would be perfectly good tank mates for my two synodontis petricola/multipunctatus) and obviously I am now very annoyed to find that I will probably have to split them up and need to buy a much bigger tank than I already have.
The main problem I have right now though is that although both featherfins seemed perfectly happy up until about an hour ago, all of a sudden one of them seemed to almost 'give up'.
He/she was quite happy cleaning one of the plants I have in the tank and just started floating around the tank on the current from the filter. It is still trying to swim occasionally but is now spending all it's time floating upside down on the surface, but still tries to swim every now and then. I caught it quite easily in a net and it didn't really put up any sort of fight.
Any help on this matter would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks x
Evie85

Re: Feather-fin help needed.

Postby san-ho-zay » Thu Jul 12, 2012 2:01 pm

Welcome to the forum. :)

How long have the plants been in the tank and where did you get them from?

Have you done a routine test for ammonia/nitrite?
Richard
san-ho-zay

Re: Feather-fin help needed.

Postby Evie85 » Thu Jul 12, 2012 2:22 pm

Ty :)
They are plastic plants that went in a couple of months ago while I was cycling the tank before I had any fish. When cleaning them I use tank water. I haven't done an ammonia/nitrite check yet (I haven't got any test in the flat and am housebound at the moment) but all the other fish in the tank seem absolutely fine including the other featherfin that was cleaning the same plant at the same time.
Evie85

Return to Help!