Sick tetra?

Get help on those urgent fishkeeping problems!

Sick tetra?

Postby 5Tracy5 » Wed Jul 18, 2012 1:28 pm

Hi,

I have a 120l Interpet fishpod tank which came with all the filter, heater etc. I've been running in for about 6 months now and have had 6 glo-lite tetras and 6 black widows since the start. A couple of weeks ago I purchased 6 neon tetras and a couple of days later found one of them dead and stuck on my filter. I put that down to stress maybe from the move. Then as the week went on they just died one by one. Had my water checked before i purchased them and was told it was perfect (also checked it myself with the api liquid kit so I already knew it was ok) I went back to the pet store with my 1 remaining neon (who looked like he was on his way out) and also 2 which had died that day and the guy in the pet shop was quite unhelpful. He couldn't see anything wrong with them and just said it was one of those things and asked me if I wanted more so said no as I didn't know why they kept dying so didn't want to risk anymore. Had my water checked again and was told it was fine again so ended up replacing them with 3 black neons and 3 red phantoms and they've been completely fine.

But now, one of my glo-lite tetras is looking a bit weird. He's gone quite pale compared to the others and seems to be gasping but he's not at the top of the tank gasping - he just seems to hang around in various places on his own. I did purchase some bacteria infection treatment as some of the signs pointed to that and have added 2 doses of that in so far as per the instructions. After about a minute of adding that treatment in both times he seemed to perk up and immediatley joined the other glo-lites and started swimming around normal but then he goes back to being on his own. He seems to be eating so I'm not sure what to do and whether to just leave him or continue with the treatment or what? I'm not sure whether this has come from those neons that just died for no reason and if there was something up with those.......

Thank you! :)
Last edited by 5Tracy5 on Wed Jul 18, 2012 1:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.
5Tracy5

Re: Sick tetra?

Postby 5Tracy5 » Wed Jul 18, 2012 1:29 pm

I meant 3 black tetras....not neons! :)
5Tracy5

Postby san-ho-zay » Wed Jul 18, 2012 2:06 pm

Hi Tracy,

Just some additional questions about the tank ...

How much water have you been changing and how often?
Are you using a dechlorinator for water changes?
Do you clean and/or replace filter media? How often?
Have you noticed any fish chasing and harassing others?
Any flicking and scratching against things?
Have you checked the temperature of the tank with an accurate thermometer (not a stick on one)?
When you say the water was OK, does that mean zero ammonia and nitrite?
Richard
san-ho-zay

Postby 5Tracy5 » Wed Jul 18, 2012 2:18 pm

Hi Richard,

I last did a water change last Wednesday - about 20% and did a quick gravel clean and rinsed the filter media in some tank water. I usually do a change every 1 to 2 weeks depending on the water and if the nitrates are creeping up.

I've been using seachem prime for the last few months.

The only fish which chase each other sometimes are the black widows but the pet store said they do that sometimes and I've only seem them do it 3 or 4 times since I first got them 6 months ago. They don't seem to hurt each other and have no marks on them or anything. When the do start they only chase each other and I've not seen any of the glo-lites get in the way or anythng like that.

Temperature's fine. I have an accurate thermometer inside the tank and I've been checking that every day and it's always the same - 26.

PH 7.0, ammonia and nitrite 0 and nitrates around 5-10%

Thanks. :)
5Tracy5

Postby san-ho-zay » Wed Jul 18, 2012 3:09 pm

I can't really see anything to improve what you are doing or any indications that anything is badly wrong -- apart from the loss of the neons. This wouldn't be the first post about a fragile batch of neon tetras.

The gasping doesn't sound like a problem with the water but upping the water changes a little, say an extra bucketfull to take it up to 30%, and doing them every week wouldn't do any harm.

The off-the-shelf anti-bacterials contain some quite harsh chemicals and personally I wouldn't continue with those unless there was a clear and chronic bacterial infection going on. Cattapa/Ketapang/Indian Almond leaves are a broad-spectrum anti-bacterial and soft-water fish like tetras usually benefit from them. A good general tonic really and cheap as chips.

viewtopic.php?f=13&t=17312&p=129842&hilit=indian+almond#p129842

You might also try some different foods? Small fish relish chasing freeze-dried tubifex worms. I rehydrate them with a bit of hot water and squidge them up before adding in dribs and drabs where the filter outlet is. Frozen foods are another idea.

They would be my best suggestions. Someone else might have an idea.
Richard
san-ho-zay

Postby 5Tracy5 » Wed Jul 18, 2012 3:44 pm

Thanks Richard.

I'll get some of those indian almond leaves and give them a try. :)
5Tracy5

Postby san-ho-zay » Wed Jul 18, 2012 4:07 pm

I should be on a commission! :lol:
Richard
san-ho-zay

Postby ady » Wed Jul 18, 2012 8:40 pm

although i've never used them,i have recently read about those leaves as a natural aid to sick fish.....

i do agree about the chemical side.....unless i absolutly have to,i would not add any chemical to my tank..only then when defo sure what i'm dealing with.

it is true about the fragility of a fair few common species these days.all down to the supply and demand....they are bred on a huge scale,on farms.

your water quality is good,so no obvious reason there.

if you try these leaves and they work,lets us all know...

:)
humans are the only race,with the intelligence to save the earth...shame we have the ignorance to ignore the salvation!!!!!
ady

Return to Help!