are these TWO guppies pregnant

Get help on those urgent fishkeeping problems!

are these TWO guppies pregnant

Postby steve_mufc » Sat Jul 21, 2012 10:23 am

We took four guppies in from a friend as he was moving house and couldn't take the tank, had them for about two weeks and due to the possibility of these two females pictured being pregnant weve just setup a smaller tank that was emptied and moved the four guppies into it .

can anyone confirm these guppies are pregnant ( the pictures show two different females) the other two guppies are male .

if so should we now remove the males and place them back into the main tank.

http://s279.photobucket.com/albums/kk136/steve_mufc/

thanks
steve_mufc

Re: are these TWO guppies pregnant

Postby Carylnz » Sat Jul 21, 2012 11:44 am

Yes. Very hard to get a female guppy that isn't pregnant! They are not known as the millions fish for nothing and can produce a new batch of fry every 4 - 6 weeks. They can also store sperm so do not always need a male.
I am unsure why you separated the 4 fish in the first place and your reasoning for now removing the males.
Unless you wish to be over-run with guppy fry, I would keep all your fish together in the main tank. If there are plenty of fine leaved plants for the fry to hide in then 2 or 3 will survive from each batch.
Moving gravid females is not a good idea as they often abort.
All fish, including the mothers, will try and eat the fry.
My home forum is The NZ Fishroom http://www.fnzas.org.nz
Carylnz

Re: are these TWO guppies pregnant

Postby ItWentWhereverIdidGo » Sun Jul 22, 2012 8:41 am

I concur, all you needed to say was that you had a female and then the answer is yes she's pregnant. When people buy guppies the females are always already pregnant and if there's males and females together in a tank then the females are constantly preggas.
ItWentWhereverIdidGo

Return to Help!