Dead Neon tetras.

Get help on those urgent fishkeeping problems!

Dead Neon tetras.

Postby Fulhamatt » Mon Jul 23, 2012 8:03 pm

I have a bit of an issue with my tetras, my tank is approaching full maturity, although not quite there yet, it's a 35 litre.
I bought 1 male siamese fighter and 4 Neon Tetra last week, and when we got home noticed that one of the tetra's tail fins was basically mssing (both the Fighter and 4 Tetra were in the same transport bag).
Anyway, thought nothing much of it, thought I'd play it by ear, within 2 hours the injured tetra was dead, so we returned it to the place we bought them who were only too happy to replace him and give us store credit for our hassle.
Since then everything seemed to be going really well until this morning, noticed one of my tetra distancing himself from the other 3, much like the original injured one did before he died, decided to carry out a test, found Nitrite a touch high, so did a 20% water change, the fish seemed to perk up a little bit, although not much.
Checked on them about 30 minutes ago, only 3 of my tetra were to be found, checked under the hood and found the missing one dead - With a missing tail fin.

My fiance is certain that one of the tetra has been bullying the others, although I've not seen it myself - I have more of an inkling that it might be the fighter, as at first he seemed to be harrassing the tetra slightly, although I haven't seen him do it for a while.

I don't really know what to do, I never had a problem like this with my previous tank of the same size and very similar fish. Ideally I would like 6 tetra, the fighter and a snail - I've heard of Tetra getting a bit lairy with eachother if you don't have enough, but obviously didn't want to overcrowd my tank, especially while it's maturing.

Any advice?
Thanks, Matt.
Fulhamatt

Re: Dead Neon tetras.

Postby englishmx » Mon Jul 23, 2012 8:34 pm

It's not an issue with the poor Tetras :( , sounds like your fighter doesn't like sharing the tank! high NitrIte won't help mind (how high was it?)

They are known to vary in temperament hence you having no issues with your set up before :wink:
Mike...
englishmx

Postby Carylnz » Tue Jul 24, 2012 8:00 am

I too suspect the fighter
My home forum is The NZ Fishroom http://www.fnzas.org.nz
Carylnz

Postby Fulhamatt » Tue Jul 24, 2012 4:36 pm

Thanks for replying :)
The Nitrite was approximately 0.4mg/l. I've been watching the fighter and how he interacts with the tetra and he seems to be pretty much keeping himself to himself now - If anything the tetra move towards him and he swims off to do his own thing (Normally swimming in circles over one of the decorations)
Very confused! will probably have to monitor the situation, if I notice any more damage to the tetra I'll try isolating the fighter and take it from there.
Fulhamatt

Return to Help!