Sick Red Phantom

Get help on those urgent fishkeeping problems!

Sick Red Phantom

Postby 5Tracy5 » Tue Jul 31, 2012 8:42 am

Hi,

I have 3 red phantom tetras and 1 of them is currently looking a little unwell. Compared to the other 2 he looks almost swollen like and he's swimming mainly nose down and slightly off to the side. He doesn't seem to be eating either. I've checked the water and it's fine as usual - ph 7, ammonia 0, nitrite 0, nitrate 10. All my other fish are completley fine. I was watching him for a while last night and there wasn't anything unusual going on....he's not beng picked on or anything and has no marks on him or anything like that. (I say 'him'....I'm not actually sure whether he is a male or female) Any ideas?

Thanks.

:)

120 litre tank
5 glo lites
6 black widows
3 red phantoms
3 black neons
5 red swordtails
5Tracy5

Re: Sick Red Phantom

Postby Carylnz » Wed Aug 01, 2012 12:59 am

Quite possibly "he" is a "she" and could be egg bound if she is bulging more on one side than the other. If it is egg bound there is not a lot you can do.
There is a slight possibility it has dropsy. This affects the whole body and the scales stick out all over, not just the belly, and make the fish look like a pinecone, especially when looked at from above. If it has dropsy this is an indication of multiple organ fail and there is no cure.
Is it possible it has been injured by another fish perhaps ramming into its side?
My home forum is The NZ Fishroom http://www.fnzas.org.nz
Carylnz

Postby 5Tracy5 » Thu Aug 02, 2012 1:47 pm

I don't think it's dropsy....I had a look and can't see any scales sticking out. I've been watching it again the last couple of nights and apart from the not eating and swimming mainly nose down there doesn't seem to be anything going on.....the others leave it alone and it doesn't look to be injured at all.

It appears to be more swollen around it's face and it's mouth seems to be opening and closing more often than usual although it's not gasping for air. I still don't think it's eating.

I'm not sure what to do. :(
5Tracy5

Postby Carylnz » Thu Aug 02, 2012 10:57 pm

To be honest, unless you know what the problem is there is nothing you can do except make sure it is not suffering or being harassed. If you see the other fish bothering, remove it immediately. It can be floated in a container in the main tank (don't forget to do daily water changes though).
It is possible there may be something stuck down its throat but in a fish that small it may be hard to see to confirm!
Carylnz

Postby 5Tracy5 » Fri Aug 03, 2012 8:48 am

Well..I found him dead at the bottom of the tank this morning upside down. :( I took him out and noticed that his spine was really curved. Is that from a disease? Just worried that my other fish might be affected if it is?

Thanks
5Tracy5

Postby Carylnz » Fri Aug 03, 2012 8:51 am

Not necessarily as he was not bend before he died. Muscles constrict on death. As the other fish seem fine and if all water tests are excellent then I would not worry.
Carylnz

Return to Help!