tropical fish dying and cloudy water

Get help on those urgent fishkeeping problems!

tropical fish dying and cloudy water

Postby helpmeplease! » Fri Aug 03, 2012 11:23 am

please help!
I have a 60L tropical fish tank with 7 fairly large fish(now 5). I recently changed the stones (I have done this before and assumed it would be okay again...) and added a new ornament and plants( I soaked these in the old tank water). I also did a 50%ish water change and cleaned the pump. After I did this, the water was a bit murky but i thought it would settle. Two days later and two fish are dead and the water is very cloudy and there are tiny bubbles at the top! I don't know what to do?!?! D:
I really don't want any other fish to die! :(
helpmeplease!

Re: tropical fish dying and cloudy water

Postby SparkyST » Fri Aug 03, 2012 12:00 pm

Have you tested your water for Ammonia and Nitrite. Cleaning the filter and replacing stones may have removed the good bacteria that break down ammonia and Nitrite.

High levels of ammonia and nitrite will kill fish.
SparkyST

Postby englishmx » Fri Aug 03, 2012 12:05 pm

In the first instance, do a 40% water change with de-chlorinated water asap
Mike...
englishmx

Postby Carylnz » Fri Aug 03, 2012 11:40 pm

60L is not a tank suitable for "fairly large fish", especially 7 of them. What species are you talking about? Your idea of large may differ from ours.
You then changed the stones. That is OK.
You also added ornaments and plants. That is OK.
You also did a 50% water change AND cleaned the pump (by which I assume you mean the filter). This is where you went wrong. I suspect the combination of large water change and filter clean has wiped out a lot of your beneficial bacteria. This means your tank needs to cycle, or partly cycle, again. The cloudy water is a bacterial bloom due to the cleaning. It is not a good idea to do all of those things at once, unless you have an emergency situation in which leaving that tank as it was was a worse thing than cleaning it out and doing a large water change.
Next time, leave the filter alone. These only need cleaning when the return flow drops anyway and I think too many people clean their filters too often. Mine gets cleaned every 21 - 18 months when the flow reduces. A lot depends on the type of fish you have and your stocking levels of course.
Test the ammonia, nitrites and nitrates. I suggest your tank is cycling and the answer is now 20 - 30% daily water changes until the ammonia and nitrite are once again 0.
My home forum is The NZ Fishroom http://www.fnzas.org.nz
Carylnz

Return to Help!