NOVICE NEEDS HELP

Get help on those urgent fishkeeping problems!

NOVICE NEEDS HELP

Postby TOBYTOBIAS » Sat Aug 04, 2012 8:31 am

Hi all,
I am looking to purchase a tank and all accessories though need some vital advice on cold or tropical fish...
The location for my tank will be in a conservatory. Before you all say NO!!! it will be in a corner where no direct sunlight will get to it.
My question is which type of tank would suit this kind of environment, cold water tank with say goldfish or a tropical one. I have never kept fish before and have always admired tanks and their appeal. My conservatory IS NOT heated via central heating and temperatures change depending on the seasons. Hoping that some of you may be able to help. Regards Tobias (o;
TOBYTOBIAS

Re: NOVICE NEEDS HELP

Postby Carylnz » Sat Aug 04, 2012 9:33 am

Hi and welcome. It is not just direct sunlight that is the problem with aquariums in conservatories but the temperature range. Is it double glazed?
Max and min temps over 12 months will help you decide whether cold or tropical would be the way to go.
My home forum is The NZ Fishroom http://www.fnzas.org.nz
Carylnz

Re: NOVICE NEEDS HELP

Postby Pickle » Tue Aug 07, 2012 12:20 pm

Personally I would recommend a freshwater tank as a starter. It's cheaper and a bit easier to manage in my opinion.

If you're in the UK, your conservatory may not get extreme temperatures to worry about too often. Just as long as you can keep the water around 75-80 degrees throughout the year you'll probably be ok. Just keep in mind that if temperatures do rise in there, take steps to keep the fish happy and stock with hardy fish.

I have about a dozen platys which are a tough breed and all has been well for about a year now. I also have 2 bristlenose plecos to keep things clean and they have survived from the very start.

Make sure you inform yourself properly about what it takes to keep fish (water testing, compatibility amoungst breeds, nitrogen cycle, food, water changes, cleaning etc) and be confident that you're going to be willing to devote the maintenance time all the while you have them.

Good luck, ask away if there's anything specific you want to know. I remember what it was like to start out in this game, very confusing.
5 sunset platys + 6 babies
2 bristle nose plecos
Pickle

Return to Help!