PH & NITRATE

Get help on those urgent fishkeeping problems!

PH & NITRATE

Postby reeve38 » Tue Aug 07, 2012 10:04 pm

Hi. Can anyone tell me if a Ph of 8 is ok for Guppies & Tetras. Also, what is the best way to lower a Nitrate reading of 40ppm. Amonia is 0.25ppm and Nitrite is 0.
Many thanks
reeve38

Re: PH & NITRATE

Postby Carylnz » Tue Aug 07, 2012 10:11 pm

Some areas have a high pH and many of the fish bought in that area are used to a pH that would be considered too high or low for that species. If they are happy, don't worry about it. A few egg layers need acidic conditions to successfully breed and raise fry though.
Check your nitrates in the tap water. Mine is always around 40 as the tap water is that.
You should have 0 ammonia too so do a water change.
My home forum is The NZ Fishroom http://www.fnzas.org.nz
Carylnz

Postby reeve38 » Tue Aug 07, 2012 10:50 pm

Hi. Many thanks for the advice. When I test the Nitrate level of my tap water & it's the same would it be ok to leave it alone & if it's lower should I try to reduce it and how.
Many thanks
reeve38

Postby Carylnz » Wed Aug 08, 2012 2:44 am

I would leave it but...
The bacteria that remove nitrates do not like oxygen rich environments. Therefore, conventional filters do not harbor the bacteria that remove nitrates. Although special filters exist that will remove nitrates, such devices are usually expensive compared to other filtration units. However, there are some steps you can take to keep nitrates low.
Keep the tank clean. Waste produces nitrates. Cleaner tanks produce fewer nitrates in the first place.
Don’t overfeed the fish. This is a common cause of excess nitrates and other wastes, such as phosphates. Not in your case as the tap water is high.
Water changes. Regular water changes with water that has little or no nitrates will lower the overall nitrate level in the tank. RO/DI water will keep nitrate levels low. What is the rainwater like in your area?
Keep live plants as they use nitrates. The more plants the better.
Use nitrogen removing filter media. Instead of an expensive denitrator or special filter, use special media in the filter you have. Although they will not lower nitrates dramatically, if used together with other methods the net result will be beneficial.
Carylnz

Postby reeve38 » Wed Aug 08, 2012 8:10 am

Hi. Many thanks for the advice. I have 2 more questions. At what ratio should I mix the RO water with tap water or should i put it neat into the tank? I also have a Tetra EX400 filter and I was wondering how oftern should I clean the medium. Some people I have spoken to say at every water change and some are saying only clean it when it starts to run slow.
Many thanks
reeve38

Postby Carylnz » Wed Aug 08, 2012 11:14 am

Having never used RO water I am sorry but I can't advise you.
As to filters, I only clean when the water flow drops. For example, I have an external Jebo filter that only gets cleaned out every 12 - 18 months.
I understand that some of those filters that run along the top of the tank need cleaning more often or they overflow as the water backs up.
Carylnz

Postby reeve38 » Thu Aug 09, 2012 8:42 pm

Hi. I just tested my tap water and the Nitrate reading was 20ppm where as the tank is 40ppm. Should I still use RO water or should I just do weekly water changes. Also, what is the most effective way of cleaning gravel? What gravel cleaner would you recomend.
Many thanks
reeve38

Postby Carylnz » Fri Aug 10, 2012 6:59 am

If your tap water is indeed a lot lower in nitrates then water changes would help.
All the gravel cleaners seem to work so which you choose is personal preference. I would not bother with the battery operated ones though.
Carylnz

Return to Help!