Water temp and stuff

Get help on those urgent fishkeeping problems!

Water temp and stuff

Postby grungernut » Thu Aug 09, 2012 6:09 pm

Hi

I am new to fishkeeping and have a few questions that I can't seem to find specific answers to so sorry if they have been answered elsewhere.

Ok, a bit of background, I have a 2 foot tank, holds approx 68 litres,it is currently coldwater. I first put fish in after around 2 weeks that 2 weeks ago and I currenty have 2 comets in it and they seem active and happy enough. I test the water every couple of days and I clean the gravel with a suction cleaner weekly and after a few initial hiccups (nitrate hitting over 100) I now have nitrate around 30, nitrite is trace,ph is 7 and amonia reads 0 and I have 3 plants in there, what I need to know is...

1: What is the minimum/maximum temps for tropical fish? the coolest my tank runs is around 82-85 with no heater as my home is always quite warm even without heating, I changed the lamp for a cool daylight one but it only made a small difference and turning the light off only drops it to around 79-80 minimum.Is this ok?

2: What types of fish could I put in that wont eat each other and how many is the max? I prefer the larger sized fish rather than small ones so I know that limits the amount I can put in.

3: How often should I actually be changing the water and how much, as all my tests show the water is quite good so far so I am doing 25% weekly,is this too much? or not enough?

Thanks.
grungernut

Re: Water temp and stuff

Postby Carylnz » Fri Aug 10, 2012 6:56 am

As you know, goldfish are coldwater fish, although they can cope with tropical temperatures (they are spawned in tropical temps overseas) it does shorten their lifespan.
Secondly, a 2ft tank is way too small for comets. These should really be in a pond. Their narrow bodies and short fins mean they are very fast swimmers and they need a lot more space than a 2ft. I would consider a 4ft minimum for a comet. You could get away with a 3ft if you have the fancier varieties of long finned goldfish.

1: What is the minimum/maximum temps for tropical fish? the coolest my tank runs is around 82-85 (28C - 29.5C) with no heater as my home is always quite warm even without heating, I changed the lamp for a cool daylight one but it only made a small difference and turning the light off only drops it to around 79 - 80 (26C - 26.5C) minimum.Is this ok?
Depends on the fish. Some species are sub tropical so can cope with slightly lower temperatures. Broadly speaking, temps for tropicals would be 23 - 27C. Discus cope with 28C but for most fish, 28+ constantly is too warm. Since your house is so warm, I assume you do not live in the UK?

2: What types of fish could I put in that wont eat each other and how many is the max? I prefer the larger sized fish rather than small ones so I know that limits the amount I can put in.
If you prefer larger sized fish then you need a much larger fish. You cannot put large fish in a 2ft tank.

3: How often should I actually be changing the water and how much, as all my tests show the water is quite good so far so I am doing 25% weekly,is this too much? or not enough?
25% weekly is fine. How often and how much depends on type of fish, size of filtration, type of filter media, and stocking levels.
My home forum is The NZ Fishroom http://www.fnzas.org.nz
Carylnz

Return to Help!