Think my first fish is dying? :(

Get help on those urgent fishkeeping problems!

Think my first fish is dying? :(

Postby Bensyboo » Sat Aug 11, 2012 12:45 am

Hi,

I bought my first shoal of Black Skirted Tetras and added them to my tank at 6:30pm Thursday night, all seemed well until I just went to check on my tank and one was missing. Looked around for ages and eventually it floated down from near the top of the filter and just laid on its side. It's move is opening and closing but it doesn't seem to be able to move its fins or tail :(

Do you think I may have new tank syndrome I'm worried I'm going to lose them all now its really upsetting to watch, not enjoying this anymore :(
Bensyboo

Re: Think my first fish is dying? :(

Postby Carylnz » Sat Aug 11, 2012 5:34 am

How have you cycled the tank? I believe it is newly set up. Easiest way to check what the problem is - check the water. What levels are the ammonia, nitrite and nitrate?
How many fish did you add at once?
The fish may have been injured being caught.
My home forum is The NZ Fishroom http://www.fnzas.org.nz
Carylnz

Postby Bensyboo » Sat Aug 11, 2012 1:41 pm

The tank was set up for 3 weeks before the fish were added. I put 6 black skirted tetras, 2 albino cory's and 2 red clawed crabs in.

The tetra that died I though looked funny from the start it's skirt fins (I guess you would call them) didn't look right instead of being fanned out they were scrunched up.

My other fish seem very calm and happy and are eating ok.

I went on the advice of the fish shop I bought from, do you think it was too many at once or too early?

Thanks
Last edited by Bensyboo on Sat Aug 11, 2012 1:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bensyboo

Postby Bensyboo » Sat Aug 11, 2012 1:43 pm

Oh in regards to cycling I used Nutrafin products the aqua safe and cycle then just left it the 3 weeks as advised. It was cloudy for the first day I think from the aquarium sand then it cleared right up the next day and hasn't looked cloudy since.

I also have 1 live plant in there.
Bensyboo

Postby markee » Sat Aug 11, 2012 10:25 pm

You could've had a weak fish but it does sound like your tank wasn't fully cycled.

I use Aqua plus & would recommend it to anyone, Nutrafin Cycle however, well the jury is still out on bottled bacteria. Without a food source bacteria will die off, so if you don't feed the bacteria in your tank then they will diminish, you don't feed the bacteria in the bottle so how do they survive? I don't know, it's always a subject that causes debate :lol:
markee

Postby Carylnz » Sat Aug 11, 2012 10:41 pm

Bensyboo wrote:Oh in regards to cycling I used Nutrafin products the aqua safe and cycle then just left it the 3 weeks as advised.

This was not, in my opinion, very good advice. Just leaving a tank for 3 weeks without adding food for bacteria to grow does nothing.
Get the water tested.
My home forum is The NZ Fishroom http://www.fnzas.org.nz
Carylnz

Postby Bensyboo » Sun Aug 12, 2012 12:19 am

Hmmm I think I need to find a new fish shop perhaps one that's going to give me food advice :(
I feel bad now and I hope I don't lose anymore fish, I'm going to find out where my local Maidenhead Aquatics island get a test kit. Any advice as to which one to buy?

Well the tetra did die in the end and I felt awful.
Bensyboo

Return to Help!