red patches on pom pom

Get help on those urgent fishkeeping problems!

red patches on pom pom

Postby Juliesmith » Sat Aug 11, 2012 10:24 pm

Hey guys,
I didn't know where to post this,here or coldwater forum. But as you can see from pics, my pom pom gold fish has got these red blotches. all on his body, one on one of his pompoms and one right where his fin attaches to him. I Don't know how it happened cause I haven't missed a water change. 65 litre tank, he lives in there with a comet goldfish. I have a 120 litre tank that I am upgrading them to when the cabinet arrives! just water tested and my amoonia is under 0.5, negligible nitrites and nitrates. My ph is always low at 6.4, is this too low? It's been that way since I had them 6 months ago so it's not a shock to the system. Havent overcleaned my filter or removed anything. will a salt dip help him dya think?? He's never been ill before :(

Juliesmith

Re: red patches on pom pom

Postby Carylnz » Sat Aug 11, 2012 10:46 pm

Have a really close look at the spots (even if you have to lift the fish out of the water and use a magnifying glass) and see if you can spot any parasites. It could be something like lice, leeches or anchor worms. These parasites are normally visible with a close examination.
My home forum is The NZ Fishroom http://www.fnzas.org.nz
Carylnz

Postby Juliesmith » Sun Aug 12, 2012 12:05 am

Hi caryinz, thanks for your reply. I have had a close look at these. Don't really know what I'm looking for with parasites but certainly can't see anything obvious. Just plain red patches, no bumps/doesn't look like anything in there?? Also he is not displaying any weird behaviour like floating at top or staying at bottom. He's not struggling to move around and is still as hungry as ever always begging for food. Pooping fine too. I'm somewhat baffled!
Juliesmith

Postby Carylnz » Sun Aug 12, 2012 10:53 pm

It may also be a case of genetics. As it gets older different colours from previous generations are coming out in it and it may change colour to that darker one of the spots
Carylnz

Postby Juliesmith » Mon Aug 13, 2012 12:15 pm

Oh really, I did not know that. I wish it was that but I darent leave it to that chance, the patches just look so specific.
Juliesmith

Postby Carylnz » Mon Aug 13, 2012 8:56 pm

Perhaps it is changing scale by scale. The red patch on the tail looks like colouring, not blood streaks.
Carylnz

Return to Help!