panicking! I can't stop my fish dying!

Get help on those urgent fishkeeping problems!

panicking! I can't stop my fish dying!

Postby neophyte » Tue Aug 14, 2012 3:57 pm

About 3 months ago I bought a tank from the AD trader as my pleco was Getting too big for mine so I bought one twice the size,I upgraded my heater and filter and used the water from my old tank and then added fresh, I added my fish and everything went great for around 10 days. But as there was plenty of room I decided to visit pet city and aquire 5 platty and a catfish .....around 3 days later one died..then from that point I started losing 2 to 3 a day then my guppies started to die the big Ones first then the 3 generations I'd sucessfully bred in my old tank the I lost 2 leopard danios and 2 zebra danios and 5 neon tetra...and my gold bards started flashing! I tried ick treatment and stress coat and over 2. Weeks went through 237ml of melafix and the death rate dropped to one every 2 or 3 days....but now its picked up again,my barbs are flashing worse my 3 remaining guppies are lethargic but still eating at the Mo and my plec has a large oval shaped ring on his underside which wasn't there yesterday, I'm doing 30 percent water changes weekly and I add freeze dried brine shrimp and daphnia to the food mix and feed the plec algie wafers and the catfish catfish food, I am close to sacking it in as iv watched most of my tank die and am feeling low! Can anyone help?
neophyte

Re: panicking! I can't stop my fish dying!

Postby orange guppy » Tue Aug 14, 2012 11:44 pm

ok, i'm sure someone who knows a lot more will give advice soon, when you upgraded your tank did you move any of the filter media or the filter from your previous tank? the water itself carries very little bacteria. Did you learn about cycling when you set up your other tank? there is an advice section in the beginners section of this forum, i'm not sure of your experience in fish keeping, you may have started a new cycle and the levels of ammonia may have built up to toxic levels, then when other fish were added this may have increased the problem, do you test your water for ammonia / nitrites/nitrates, you can get test strips which many regard as innacurate or liquid test kits many people recomend the api master test kit, this will give you an idea of what is happening in the water, the flashing could be due to the water irritating the fishes gills, ich is white specs on the fish, do you have this? if the fish are flashing I would do 10-20% water changes daily with dechlorinated water.
sorry if this response is really badly written but i'm really tired and thought you needed a response - it can be horrible when things go wrong within an aquarium

Hope you find this helpful
10 gall - Guppies
12 gall Guppies
30 gall- Guppies
Kept Guppies 2004-2007 + 2011-
orange guppy

Postby Carylnz » Wed Aug 15, 2012 2:32 am

Orange guppy has given good advice there. Have you tested the water? This is either a bacterial infection introduced by the new fish or ammonia and nitrite poisoning.
My home forum is The NZ Fishroom http://www.fnzas.org.nz
Carylnz

Postby neophyte » Wed Aug 15, 2012 4:20 pm

I have taken the advice I did a 20 percent water change yesterday and another today and will continue to do so for another week or two...I have a new more accurate testing kit on order from the net, but I'm still unsure of the large oval white mark on my plec unless that's due to the ammonia level too.
neophyte

Postby Carylnz » Wed Aug 15, 2012 9:10 pm

Plecs have been known to burn themselves on the heater. That may explain the mark. Or, do you have any Chinese algae eaters in there? They will suck on the body slime and leave a ringworm type mark.
My home forum is The NZ Fishroom http://www.fnzas.org.nz
Carylnz

Postby neophyte » Wed Aug 15, 2012 9:54 pm

All I have in my tank now are 2 small catfish 4 guppies 5 gold barbs 5 neon tetra 2 platty 1dalmation molly and my plec....I have a 90 litre tank,my plec seems to favour the filter rather than the heater to sandwich himself between the glass with.....the wound or mark has gotten redder round the edges and yellow toward the middle....I have photos but am still trying to see if I can upload from my mobile.
neophyte

Postby ItWentWhereverIdidGo » Thu Aug 16, 2012 9:56 am

Can you list the stock level you had previous to the fish dying? It maybe that you were too heavily stocked which led to the Ammonia levels being too high which caused illness.
ItWentWhereverIdidGo

Postby neophyte » Fri Aug 17, 2012 10:34 pm

I had 9 guppies 2 were male and also 4 leopard and 1 zebra danio 10 neon tetra 9 platty after buying those from pet city 1 plec 1 albino catfish 1 dalmatian molly and 1 very. Small cat fish which now seems to be thrivng and has more than doubled in size whilest the rest were ill.
neophyte

Postby neophyte » Sun Aug 19, 2012 1:22 am

Losing another leopoard danio......I dunno if these water changes are doing anything.....gonna buy some interpret no 8 as a precaution for my pleco......really wish this water testing kit HF got here before the weekend :(
neophyte

Postby ady » Sun Aug 19, 2012 9:46 am

when you swapped tanks did you run both old and new filter together,seed the new filter with bacteria from old filter ?

if not,the loss of bacteria would cause a major ammonia/nitrite problem i'm afraid....

hope ya test kit arrives soon.in mean time i would continue with the water changes,but on a larger scale,to dilute the pesky nasty stuff...

if think your tank was over stcoked and the ammonia would have spiked quickly.as it does in tanks with a smaller capacity.

personally i would not add any more fish to your tank,as over stocking will continue you problems....

how big is the plec ?...do you know the type or is it just a common plec ?..these grow large very quickly and produce loads of waste,adding to your water problems.it's not entirely your fault tho,as the shop should have asked you your tank size and current stocking levels.unfortunatly there are some unscrupulous people in the trade...i would seek out another shop if possible.vote with ya feet...

good luck :)
humans are the only race,with the intelligence to save the earth...shame we have the ignorance to ignore the salvation!!!!!
ady

Postby neophyte » Sun Aug 19, 2012 12:29 pm

I thought it was strange that you refered to my tank as small since its massive so I measured it and calculated the volume converted it to litres and it actually holds 184 litres but iv filled it to 155 litres which makes me grin as I bought it As a 90 litre tank.....the guy did tell me he was a beginner and I took him at his word .....as I figured he knew the capacity of his tank and never had a reason to think differently until you refered to it as small.....and I didn't have time to run my new filter for a week with my old as my old was very old and failing,thanks for the advice you guys are great ill keep you posted :)
neophyte

Postby ady » Wed Aug 22, 2012 5:54 pm

got a bigger tank than you thought then....result..once you get it all stable and runnig lovely it will be easier for ya...

stocking level sounds much healthier now :lol:
humans are the only race,with the intelligence to save the earth...shame we have the ignorance to ignore the salvation!!!!!
ady

Postby neophyte » Thu Aug 23, 2012 12:58 am

I know......I'm very pleased about my tank...u..however... I lost my danio yesterday......it took him 3days to die....my plec is picking up......my nitrate Level is normal...and my plec is 22cm long my catfish has grown from 2cm to 11 cm fast growing little bugger lol! Iv added a low dose of aquarium salt and iv added api cycle kickstart as with all the water changes I was worried id hindered my cycle recovery so in hoping my tank will recover Soon. Also my gold barbs seem to have stopped Flashing as intensly 1 still does but I think that maybe habitual...is my tank now under stocked and what are the implication's of an under stocked tank??
neophyte

Postby ady » Thu Aug 23, 2012 6:06 pm

no implications in an under stocked tank at all :D

just means your fish have more room to move around freely..

the bacteria levels in ya filter only match the amount of fish present...if it stable with 10 fish say,then it's fine....if you add anymore the filter will take a short while to catch up and expand the colony.thats why we all stagger the stocking of the fish.up to the maximum of course..

fear not,sounds like you turning the corner...think you correct with the kick start stuff...constant big water changes can knock back the filter abit..better to be safe than sorry....

glad the fish seem better,apart from the poor old danio.. :( horrible losing fish innit....just had both of my angles die within 3 weeks of each other....old age.swim bladder went a tad wrong...they started doing backflips :cry:
ady

Postby neophyte » Tue Aug 28, 2012 12:11 am

I lost my last female guppy yesterday although the rest of the tank seems OK so far .....nitrate Level is low .......I'm considering adding freeze dried brine shrimp and daphnia to the food mix to see if this improves the health of my remaining fish and also my plec is healing nicely and is upto 22cm long :)
neophyte

Return to Help!