Sick Cory?

Get help on those urgent fishkeeping problems!

Sick Cory?

Postby ChrisJ95 » Sat Aug 18, 2012 10:20 pm

Hi all, this is my first post in a forum..
I have had al community tank for around 2 months now, which was cycled for about a month beford adding ny life to it. In it there are 3 platies, a betta, a few cardinal tetra and2 cories.
Yesterday I noticed that my albino cory has some strange swelling on only one sidd of its belly. It seems to be acting okay, still eating, however it does seem to be less active than before, however I have noticed that both have mellowed out since I got them. I intend to get a testing kit, however my funds are a little short at the moment. Any thoughts what could be wrong?
ChrisJ95

Re: Sick Cory?

Postby Carylnz » Sun Aug 19, 2012 1:34 am

What size is the tank and what were you doing with it before you added the fish? Using something to seed the filter bacteria?
Corys prefer to be in groups and are better in a well established aquarium.
A lump on one side could be a female with eggs or it could be a tumour as fish are prone to them.
My home forum is The NZ Fishroom http://www.fnzas.org.nz
Carylnz

Postby ChrisJ95 » Sun Aug 19, 2012 12:51 pm

The tank is a 10 gallon tank, and so it is at the maximum amount of stocking it can hold. Before I added fish when I was cycling the tank I used an old filter which had previously been in use for around a year, and I also used King British Safe Water treatment which contains denitrifying bacteria. I know cories prefer to be kept in larger groups and so as I plan to get a larger tank as soon as I have the money and space. Regarding whether it is eggs or a tumour, I am nlt sure of the sex but will continue to monitor it closely. Thank you.
ChrisJ95

Postby ChrisJ95 » Sun Aug 19, 2012 12:54 pm

If it is a tumour, what are its odds of recovery, and what treatment can be available?
ChrisJ95

Postby Carylnz » Sun Aug 19, 2012 9:15 pm

Depends on the tumour and how big it gets. No cure and often they will not affect the fish but if one grows too much it can press on internal organs or have other detrimental effects. If it is cancerous, it will kill the fish.
How long did you have the old seeded filter running in the tank with no fish? There will have been nothing for the bacteria to feed on and most would have died.
My home forum is The NZ Fishroom http://www.fnzas.org.nz
Carylnz

Postby ChrisJ95 » Sun Aug 19, 2012 9:40 pm

I had it running about 3 and a half weeks... Next time I will be sure to put a little food in when cycling to give the bacteria something to live off of...
ChrisJ95

Postby ChrisJ95 » Mon Aug 20, 2012 9:38 am

Thanks a lot for the help, unfortunately I woke up this morning to find the poor little fella laying dead on his side... Well now I‘ve experienced my first fish death
ChrisJ95

Return to Help!