dead barb

Get help on those urgent fishkeeping problems!

dead barb

Postby lancslass » Sun Aug 19, 2012 9:33 pm

hi everyone

i have tonight come home to a dead barb,, i have a 30ltr bi orb and 3 weeks ago added 4 barbs and 2 gourmis and tonigh a barb has died and another is swimming in the same place looking down and is not eating and looks as if it has tiny air bubbles attached to it

can some one help me please i dont wanna lose any more fish x

Re: dead barb

Postby Angel Fish » Mon Aug 20, 2012 2:33 am

Sorry to hear about your problems, unfortunately I think that things will get worse before they get better :(
A few questions to start:

How long has the tank been set up?
Did you cycle the tank (using an Ammonia source/filter squeeze etc)
How long have the fish been in the tank?
Did you add all the fish at the same time?
How often do you change the water?
Have you tested the water for Ammonia, NitrIte and NitrAte? (pH would be a good reading to have too)
What species of Barb and Gourami are they?

I'm afraid that a 30l BiOrb is not big enough for the fish that you have. Am I right in thinking it's the round one? If it is, there are very few species that can be kept in there and the numbers have to be kept to a minimum because it has such a small surface area.
I recommend doing a 30% water change using dechlorinated, temperature matched water, at least every other day to try and get the chemistry right.

If it were me, I'd return the fish and the tank and get a "regular" square/rectangle tank - they are much more forgiving because of the larger surface area, are easier to maintain and give the fish more room to move around. But that's just my opinion, sorry to be so negative :?
All the advice I give is based on my own personal 30 years of experience.
Main TT Page
Diabetes Forum
Angel Fish

Return to Help!