I belive my Danio is sick, any advice?

Get help on those urgent fishkeeping problems!

I belive my Danio is sick, any advice?

Postby Albert » Mon Aug 20, 2012 3:50 am

I've been coming to the site for a couple of months so far and found a lot of good info, so I thought I might post this question up here and get some expert advice :D

Firstly, I'm a complete beginner, I got my first fish tank about 3 months ago. The tank, a 280litre, was gifted to me and about a month later an over enthusiastic friend gifted me a bunch of fish (which basically means I can't pick any more fish since its filled to capacity now >_>), so just keep in mind that it wasn't optimally set up, and during the cycling one of my fish died :(.

Anyway, back to the point, I have 2 rainbow Danios that just bred, only two survived so I also have 2 small cute baby Danios, 2 gold Gourami, 1 Britslenose Catfish and 2 fish of the same species I'm still trying to identify (I live in Egypt, so aquaria here are more commercial than hobbyist, so there isn't a lot of information on fish other than "If you like it, just buy it and stop asking me all these questions". Furthermore I wouldn't trust any fish shops here to give me a proper answer, since they are mostly full of Sh**t. End rant) and I have 3 snails, although they just gave birth recently so I have about 36 baby snails.

A couple of hours ago I was looking over my fishtank, and I noticed that one of my adult Danios was just swimming in circles in one corner of the tank. Also his fins were quite rigid, not flowing like they usually are and he generally just looks "thin". I didn't notice any marks on him, or any odd colors, the only noticeable thing was that his right gill seemed a little bit inflamed. Anyway, I don't have a quarantine tank, so I put him in a little divider from the main tank to keep him away from the other fish. I'm not exactly sure if he has gill disease, since he isn't going for air at the top of the tank, and all the other fish seem fine and dandy.

What do you guys think? Is he sick, or could it be stress or what exactly?

Also, I should probably mention that its a hot summer here, and if my thermometer in the tank is correct, the water temperature is about 32.5 degrees Celsius. Any suggestions on how I can bring the water temp down?
Albert

Return to Help!