Lost Power - One Fish Not Well

Get help on those urgent fishkeeping problems!

Lost Power - One Fish Not Well

Postby pxr5 » Mon Aug 20, 2012 7:13 pm

Hi all,

During a thunder storm last week the RCD on my 40 litre tank tripped - I'm reckoning about 11pm. When I went to feed the next evening after work (around 6pm) this is when I first noticed the power was of (so for about 19 hours). The tank has 3 harlequins, 3 embers and 3 neon teras in it and been running 18 months or so. I noticed that one of the neons was sort of vertical and bouncing up and down at the bottom of the tank. I was hoping it would recover but its still doing it 48 hours later. It looks well apart from this odd movement (sometimes it does seem to swim OK, but only briefly), but it hasn't eaten (probably can't). If I had to make an assessment I think it looks brain damaged from lack of oxygen (if that's plausible at all). All the other fish were, and still are, OK and water results are fine, oh and as it's quite mild at the moment the temp had only dropped from 26 to 22. Any ideas, will it get better as it's been nearly a week now?

Thanks
pxr5

Re: Lost Power - One Fish Not Well

Postby Carylnz » Tue Aug 21, 2012 8:02 am

A drop of that much over that time is not too bad. The affected fish may have been weaker than the others. A drop in temp can affect the swim bladder which would explain the bobbing. I suspect the fish may not improve but if it seems otherwise well and eating, I would leave it alone.
My home forum is The NZ Fishroom http://www.fnzas.org.nz
Carylnz

Postby pxr5 » Tue Aug 21, 2012 11:16 am

Thanks. Yes the fish is eating and does swim correctly, but only occasionally. It still looks healthy, just acting oddly - so I'll leave it alone as it doesn't appear to be suffereing.
pxr5

Postby pxr5 » Wed Aug 22, 2012 6:33 pm

Sadly passed away today :cry:
pxr5

Return to Help!