whats happening to my fish .

Get help on those urgent fishkeeping problems!

whats happening to my fish .

Postby beatles » Mon Aug 27, 2012 6:12 pm

my fishes colours seem to be changing .and in some fish there mouths and eyes seem swollen .with some losing weight to .ive been doing a weekly change taking out the right amount of water and cleaning the filter .i have just replaced the filter pads but i get a load of crap entering the water .maybe its left over food not sure .i had to clean out all the stones the not long ago .they were all brown .i went away for 2 weeks and no one in my house took care of the tank .its like im starting all over again .some help would be nice .
beatles

Re: whats happening to my fish .

Postby SparkyST » Mon Aug 27, 2012 6:28 pm

Have you checked your ammonia and nitrite levels? High ammonia will burn the gills and make them red.

Cleaning the filter will get rid of the bacteria needed to keep the ammonia and nitrite levels at 0. I would start of by testing your water and doing more regular water changes until your levels are stable.
SparkyST

Postby beatles » Mon Aug 27, 2012 6:47 pm

thanks will try that.i bought a water testing kit .there like strips to test the water .i cant get the gh and kh .right but the rest is ok
beatles

Postby SparkyST » Mon Aug 27, 2012 7:07 pm

The strips aren't very accurate at all. Your better off with a liquid test kit. Cheapest I have seen them is on eBay.
SparkyST

Postby beatles » Mon Aug 27, 2012 7:54 pm

sounds good to me .your right about them strips
beatles

Return to Help!