? pregnant platy ?

Get help on those urgent fishkeeping problems!

? pregnant platy ?

Postby gemz » Tue Sep 04, 2012 6:42 pm

Hello,

I am fairly new to fish keeping

I recently bought 2 female platy, and I noticed the one is a bit fat, is she pregnant?

I don't have a computer and do all my internet on my blackberry and can't upload a pic, I am happy to email a pic to anyone who can help me

Thank you
Gemz :)
gemz

Re: ? pregnant platy ?

Postby Carylnz » Wed Sep 05, 2012 1:59 am

If you have a female platy she is most likely pregnant. They can produce fry every 4 - 6 weeks and don't always need a male to do so as they can store sperm for months and have several batches of fry from that.
My home forum is The NZ Fishroom http://www.fnzas.org.nz
Carylnz

Postby gemz » Wed Sep 05, 2012 8:49 am

Carylnz wrote:If you have a female platy she is most likely pregnant. They can produce fry every 4 - 6 weeks and don't always need a male to do so as they can store sperm for months and have several batches of fry from that.

Wow! I never knew that! What should I do? As I don't know how far gone she is etc, I have ordered a breeding box as I'd quite like some babies, when do I put her in it?

Thank you for that piece of knowledge :)
gemz

Postby Carylnz » Thu Sep 06, 2012 1:18 am

I would just leave her alone. They often get stressed in those little boxes and may abort. You might like to catch any resulting fry and put them in the box but they need feeding a lot and can pollute them very quickly. They will also grow fast and get too big too fast to stay in there long.
If you do not want to be over-run with fry, leave her in the main tank. If you have plenty of bushy plants, 2 or 3 fry may survive from each batch (the others will get eaten). Think of them as a good source of live food :wink:
My home forum is The NZ Fishroom http://www.fnzas.org.nz
Carylnz

Postby gemz » Thu Sep 06, 2012 7:40 am

Thank you :)

I have an albino frog and did consider giving some of the fry to him as a treat and its also a bit of exercise for him, circle of life and all that plus my tank isn't really big enough for more fry
gemz

Return to Help!