Broken Filter...

Get help on those urgent fishkeeping problems!

Broken Filter...

Postby SRThomas » Tue Sep 04, 2012 11:29 pm

My 60l tank (2xM Opaline Gouramies) suffered a broken filter this morning (oddly, it appeared to fuse after my partner put the iron on...). Not having time to nip to the shop for a replacement, I had to do a quick shift with filters. I moved my Interpet PF1 from my 48l (4 neons, 1xM molly, 1xM guppy), leaving behind a small filter that I keep running prior to use in my quarantine tank. I left the filter foam in the broken filter. Got back from work about 10hrs later, went and got shiny new filter (Fluval U2). I'm currently running the small quarantine filter and the U2 together in the 60l: I have also put one of the foams from the old filter (I believe a Fluval 3plus) into the new filter (I also got some plants for filtration benefit); in addition, I have left the remaining foams just in the water, in hope for some bacterial transfer to the new filter. The PF1 is back in the 48l. I also did a decent water change. I'm wondering: (a) will I get amonia spikes etc (I plan to check and do extra water changes anyway over the next couple of weeks), and (b) should I remove the old filter foam.

Just for info: I had planned a change to the 48l, to full planted betta tank with wood etc. Which has been forcibly postponed now methinks...
SRThomas

Re: Broken Filter...

Postby Carylnz » Wed Sep 05, 2012 1:58 am

Should be fine if I have followed it correctly :roll: :?
Will the old media fit in the new filter? If so, stuff it in there.
You may get a slight rise but nothing big enough to call a spike.
Leave the old foam 1 month before removing, or distribute it between the other filters. Nothing like spare media on hand :wink:
My home forum is The NZ Fishroom http://www.fnzas.org.nz
Carylnz

Postby SRThomas » Wed Sep 05, 2012 10:29 pm

Thanks Carylnz. And apologies for the rambling post (It's my job: I get better reviews the more complex I can make simple things).

The reason I asked is, following the info on the main site for this forum (under the 'moving house' section), I got the idea that the friendly bacteria will die off without a water flow, which itself would create ammonia as well as reducing the capacity of the filter to remove ammonia. But things are going well: the fish haven't died and seem to enjoy poking their snouts into the filter foam. And with the red foam sitting proudly in my tank, I have decided I have invented a new genre of acquascaping: the Ikea-Urban/Country-Life-Rural look.
SRThomas

Postby Carylnz » Thu Sep 06, 2012 1:14 am

Flowing water is best but as long as you kept it wet enough bacteria would have survived to do the job.
Frankly, I suspect your red foam looks better than a lot of decor people seem to put in their tanks (and don't even mention brightly coloured neon painted fake plants!!)
My home forum is The NZ Fishroom http://www.fnzas.org.nz
Carylnz

Return to Help!